1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disengaged boy in class, HELP!

Discussion in 'English' started by megstom, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Hi all, this is my first post on here. I am a student teacher, in the 3rd year of my degree. I currently habe a Year 4 class on placement.

I have a boy in my class who's writing is not very good. He writes with no spaces, no punctuation, and never makes any sense. Most of the time he can't even read back what he has written. He is a bright boy, and I personally feel his poor writing is due to disenagegment. He also has some behaviour problems which I also feel could be due to his lack of interest in writing.

Have any of you got any suggestions of how to engage this boy into wanting to write and actually enjoying it? His parents have also been asking if there is anything they can do at home. I'm not sure what to do, I know using stimulis that are of interest to him do get a better piece of writing but this doesn't always work.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks

2. Hi all, this is my first post on here. I am a student teacher, in the 3rd year of my degree. I currently habe a Year 4 class on placement.

I have a boy in my class who's writing is not very good. He writes with no spaces, no punctuation, and never makes any sense. Most of the time he can't even read back what he has written. He is a bright boy, and I personally feel his poor writing is due to disenagegment. He also has some behaviour problems which I also feel could be due to his lack of interest in writing.

Have any of you got any suggestions of how to engage this boy into wanting to write and actually enjoying it? His parents have also been asking if there is anything they can do at home. I'm not sure what to do, I know using stimulis that are of interest to him do get a better piece of writing but this doesn't always work.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks

3. Boys that are reluctant to write? WELL I NEVER!

4. It's far more likely that his behaviour problems are due to the same thing that his poor writing is due to.

By year 4 he should be able to write with spaces etc.

Have you spoken to the SENCO about him? Is it possible he has Dyslexia? Or Dyspraxia? Both of those can cause severe writing problems as well as behaviour problems.

5. You seem to be assuming that he can do it but chooses not to because he is demotivated. I'd check that he has the capability - the poor behaviour and apparent lack of motivation could be hiding the fact that he really can't write. Pretending "I can't be bothered" is a typical cover up for "I can't".

6. manc

manc New commenter

I agree. You say he is 'bright', but the evidence suggests otherwise.

7. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Agreed. The fact that he is orally competent doesn't = 'bright' - and I suspect that's what prompted your judgement.
    There are all kinds of reasons, however, why children find writing difficult and I agree that a word with the SENCO may be profitable.

8. Maybe you could create some sort of grid for him to write in with demarcated sections for each word.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to ask the child to tell a story. Get him to tell it to you or a TA, record it on a dictaphone-type recorder or see if he can put sentences together to make a story as someone else suggested using cards to check if it's the writing or demotivation. If he <u>can</u> 'tell an interesting story' that would suggest it's more a 'writing' problem- could be dyslexia/ dyspraxia or he simply hasn't picked up the skills yet and more investigation is required.