1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disenchanted

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by amarantha_valentine, May 21, 2011.

1. amarantha_valentine

amarantha_valentine New commenter

Hi everyone,
    When did education stop being about the students and become a business? SLT are just data focused and results driven. I'm just wondering if it is like this in all schools or just mine, if it's all schools I don't want to be a part of it any more.
    Thanks

2. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

feel the same,

schools the same.

sorry [​IMG]

3. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

Yep, same in my school - all about 'targets'. Students are given no time to express themselves. We even show 'Performance targets' in year assemblies !!

4. It's the same everywhere, unfortunately. Businesses all round. Students are just units of measurement. I would say, however, that although every atom of me hates the situation, it would not drive me away. The students need the people who recognise this to be around so that they are humans in the eyes of the people who matter. If all the people who hated it jumped ship, the kids would be left in the hands of The Suits and nobody wants that...surely.

5. amarantha_valentine

amarantha_valentine New commenter

That's a good way to look at it I guess, it just makes me so angry that the government doesn't see this. Thanks for the positive spin on this Facetious

6. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Yes but, no but ....
    I currently teach all bottom sets with all kinds of behaviour/learning issues. None will ever figure in the A*-C stats, so I actually do get a chance to teach them.
    I have asked for my bottom set yr 9 as my yr 10, not because I am wimping out, but because the pupil who has spent 2 terms swearing at me, throwing desks and chairs across the room and generally being the pupil from hell, gave me a thank-you note last week for the help I've given. There isn't a tick box for that on Ofsted or the league tables.

7. SMT certainly don't think about teachers or teaching at my school. So fed up.