1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion threads - is TES on life support?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pixiewixiepixie, Jan 28, 2016.

1. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

As a recent joinee, I'm not sure for how much longer! With over 4 million (alleged) members, I expected a lively and open set of discussion forums. Instead, there are just a handful of posters making a handful of postings most days, TES itself seem desperate to drum up discussion by regularly starting their own threads instead of the ones that are important to teachers, and moderators seem to spend a lot of time posting comments instead of moderating in threads but then blocking out other people's posts who disagree with their point of view. (Has no one told them this is like being judge and jury and scares posters off?) I have found these forums disappointing to say the least.

TES forums are now in life support. How can we all help the people who work for TES do a far better job at creating a discussion forum than they are currently doing?

Discuss.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

The suggested TES threads are so dull! They need to liven them up rather than provide copy for TES free of charge.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Why not have an opinion forum?

Noja, lexus300, xena-warrior and 7 others like this.
  5. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Pre-moderation is rife and topics are so zealously censured these days, what do you expect?

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

More threads about how dreadful TES is. That's bound to breathe life into the place.
    o_O

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

A recent joinee? Who knows a lot about the fora? How can this BE???

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

A bit perplexed as to how a recent joinee is an established commenter. I thought, with moderation and so on, it would take longer than 'recent.'

Maybe we're all happy just pottering along OP.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I think TES has adopted the same policy that McDonalds has been using for years, whereby they give the staff badges depending on their experience. If you manage to stick the job out all day long, you get to become a branch manager.

Burndenpark likes this.
  11. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

In fairness to the OP, this thread was originally posted on the 'Education News' forum, and has since been moved here.

It makes more sense in that context imo.

needabreak and Burndenpark like this.
  12. Flere-Imsaho

Yes, I noticed that. I wondered if Personal is the new sin bin for embarrassing threads.

13. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

I would like to see the OP starting a 'proper' thread, rather than disparaging what's apparently so dull on here. Please enlighten us.

ValentinoRossi, wanet, InkyP and 2 others like this.
  14. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

oooooooooooooooooh!

I think we are all pretty lively here! Off to get me slippers and a glass of finest red wine. Have I missed the Archers? (note - I have actually never listened to the Archers).

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I agree! Except, I have actually listened to the Archers!

ValentinoRossi and wanet like this.
  16. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

For sabrinakat image.jpeg

sabrinakat likes this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I am afraid that any OP which signs off with 'discuss' only prompts a 'sod off' response in my mind.

18. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I think that's what op meant by 'Discuss' considering they haven't been back since their o
    OP

19. Flere-Imsaho

The OP could be confused as to where the thread went!

20. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!