1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion on whether indy schools are better . . .

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Crowbob, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Boo!

2. I'm one of those teachers who don't fully understand the need for independent schools, and I teach in one! I fully support my school, but can you argue that the country NEEDS independent schools? If so, please do.
    Similarly, why are boarding schools so important? What would the nation miss if there were no boarding schools?

And please don't go on about extra-curricular activities. These can happen just as well in maintained days schools as in any other school.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

More than £200 million of inward foreign investment from the families of the 9000+ boarders who live overseas (mainly, but not exclusively, in the far east).
    There would also be considerable difficulties for many parents in the armed forces, the diplomatic service and those working for international companies with jobs that require a change of location at frequent intervals, if there was no longer any boarding provision. Not to mention those in the UK who live in remote areas where daily travel to school is not a realistic option, and so boarding is essential (and which is why there are state boarding schools as well as independent boarding schools).

4. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

If independent schools closed down the government couldn't afford to fund education for those students as they entered the state system. I remember one London borough at the start of the recession working out what they would do if 10% of the private school students in their borough left and went into the state system. Their conclusion was that with their funding situation they couldn't cope with it.
    So, a purely financial reason why we need independent schools.

5. You can also include cathedral choristers up and down the land who, because of the intensive reheasal schedule in both morning and evenings, need, for the most part, to board. There could be no justification for doing away with this tradition.

6. Ive always found this particular debate farcical.....
    Independent education is no different from taking a stroll down the high street.... it all boils down to consumer choice.
    You send your kid to a private school all youre doing is making a consumer choice...... no different from buying Nike rather than Lonsdale..... M&S rather than Tesco...... Samsung rather than Hitachi....John Lewis rather than Primark.
    The customer makes a choice based on a perceived quality and value for money.... thats it.
    But for some peculiarly British reason those that make this choice are castigated for being snobs or other such nonsense....... and heaven forbid you should choose to teach in this sector!
    So next time you see someone decide to but an Audi instead of a Peugeot feel free to turn your nose up at them, pelt them with eggs and accuse them of being a traitor.
    [​IMG]

7. This is the thing I have found a bit strange about starting in a Independent school. I have started at my school which was in fact the school I was sent to, through what I see as good luck and accident. (The job came up, and with little luck with other applications I went for it.)

But now I am at a private school, friends think I have it easier than themselves at state schools, they think that independent schools have no place and should be shut down and if I teach there I am just as much a snob as the parents who send their kids there.

I don't understand this whole rationale. One: Why is it an achievement for them to have it harder than me at school? I still have to work hard, I still have to deal with behaviour issues. Two: The argument has already been made, where do the kids go who can no longer go to independent, and if so, can systems indeed cope. Three: I dont think I am a snob (admittedly I may not be the best person to comment on this). And I think its fair that in a consumer led society, people who choose differently are considered snobs.

Has anyone else come across this attitude?

8. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

LondonChap - yes, indeed.

Any other industry and no-one would bat an eyelid if you decided to a move to a job where you had better facilities, a lunch break, a more co-operative and inspiring clientèle, nicer buildings, a bit more pay, etc!

9. Look up the work of the Sutton Trust. They found that of the most selective 100 state schools in England, only three are grammars. In other words, some comps are more selective than grammars!

If everyone had access to these 97 comps or schools like them, then there would be no need to move house (and buy into a catchment area) or (unless you wanted) go to an independent school. But life isn't like that.

10. Yes, that's right. And of course the funding deficit would occur because the government is ALREADY receiving the tax from the parents of pupils in independent schools and has already spent it!