1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discussing mobile phone use with pupils

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by schoolGov, Feb 11, 2011.

1. I was sent a copy of a document called 'Wireless technologies and young people', available here http://wifiinschools.org.uk/resources/wireless+technologies+and+young+people+Jan2011.pdf. I found it very informative, with useful suggestions, current guidelines and resources for discussing the subject in school. I would like to highly recommend it. This subject is not discussed enough, but is of huge importance given the many hours children spend on their phones.

2. You may also be interested in this free online activity which gets students to look at mobile phone tariffs and select the best one for the character shown: http://www.nationwideeducation.co.uk/finance-education/personal/students/12-14_savings-lifeskills/int_practical-activity.php

3. The first link describes mobile phone safety, Government advice and how to help young people stay safe. I think this is something which needs to be discussed with pupils. In our school we are planning lessons in PSHE, although it isn't an easy subject to raise. Considering the possible consequences of not doing so, is worrying. If mobiles and the like can cause cancer or damage the brain, and we say nothing, the children lose out in a few years. If they are safe, then discussing safety and warning them has done no harm, except slightly lowering the profits of mobile phone companies. We don't know the future, but I know that I wouldn't want to look back and think I could have prevented harm, but didn't.
    Your link, Naomi, seems to be about choosing which phone young people might want to buy. Please read the first link. Promoting and advertising phones may one day be likened to encouraging young people to smoke.