1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discretionary Leave of Absence Policies and their Interpretation

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by paulc38, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Quijote

Quijote New commenter

Only if she came back.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I once lived, and worked, near Headingley cricket ground.

One day, when I got home, my teenage son (year 11 - something like that) came and confessed that he had bunked off from school to go to the cricket. I'm only telling you because I saw your deputy HoD at the match too, and I knew he'd tell you tomorrow that he saw me there.

It hadn't occurred to my son that if my colleague was there, he too was bunking off . . . and that both of them had every reason to keep quiet about their joint presence.a

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. September

September New commenter

What happened to the Deputy Head?

4. I think the first poster is proving to be succinctly right on the button: "Can of Worms"! Unless the culture of schools changes...what if we budgeted for once in a lifetime/5 years "golden [unpaid] discretionary leave? That would cost next to nothing but may well pay dividends in staff morale...just a thought.

5. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

I've always thought that I would have happily taken a 10% pay cut if I could have my tenth year off on full pay to recharge batteries and pursue all the things that I don't currently have time for...

6. Quijote

Quijote New commenter

They do this in some places. At one time Western Australia allowed teachers to take a sabbatical every few years, with a consequent reduction in salary but spread over the whole time, so that you still received pay while on sabbatical: I don't know if they still do this.

7. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Really? It sounds great. I imagine this would help retain some of the more experienced teachers too.