1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

discrete sentences??

Discussion in 'English' started by Iddle, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Hi, I'm currently trying to bulk up my subject knowledge folder (I'm a GTP trainee). I've been trying to find a definition of "a discrete sentence". I know it means separate, and it is found in written word, but I am still a little unclear! Can anyone help me?? Please??
    Iddle x

2. I've never heard of a 'discrete' sentence either. What exactly are you being asked? Can we work it out from the context?

3. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

4. Surely that's not it Gruoch, or have I missed something? 'Discrete' has been used as a (more or less superfluous) adjective below, from the link you posted. The OP seems to be asking about a special category of sentence- all sentences could be described as discrete otherwise. I have never heard of 'discrete sentences.'

If a number of facts or statements are emphasised by separating them into a list the punctuation is as follows:

a) the items in the list will start with lower case;

b) the end of each item will have a semicolon;

c) the last item will finish with a full stop.

The reason for this is that 'follows' is followed by a colon, not a full stop. Therefore the three separate items are not discrete sentences, but phrases within a sentence which is finished at the end of the last item.

5. Yeah tophut, because, according to that site, a discrete sentence begins with a capital letter and ends with a full stop and can be simple, compound or complex. So why bother with the modifier 'discrete'? More than likely just another bit of jargon the OP has to be able to spout.

6. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

I agree that 'discrete' is redundant.

7. Hmm it appears so! Thanks for your help guys :)