1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discrete or embedded GPS teaching?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Bumblebee435, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Bumblebee435

Bumblebee435 New commenter

Hi

Wondering how others teach grammar, punctuation and spelling at KS1, particularly year 2? If discrete, do you follow a published scheme or base your planning on one? Looking for suggestions and ideas.

TIA

2. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I think grammar needs teaching directly when it's first introduced, especially the terminology. Once they've developed their understanding of the content, teaching should then focus on them applying it in their writing.

It's like the language of music. A firm understanding of the technicalities will give a musician much more control over what they're playing when they come to apply it, just as a good understanding of grammar gives children conscious control over how they construct their writing.

I wouldn't worry about schemes. Just teach the content directly from the national curriculum and give them plenty of practice.

3. Bumblebee435

Bumblebee435 New commenter

Thanks for your reply.

So do I understand from your post you teach it as a blend of both discrete and embedded, cherry picking from the curriculum in no particular order?

4. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

That's correct. There are a few resources floating around on here that put the content into an order and give teaching ideas. You could use some of those if it helps you. Just search for them.

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I don't teach KS1, but I teach grammar discretely to start with then just constantly refer back through other lessons. The curriculum tells us what to cover (although in Y6 we pretty much just go over all terms). Terminology is really important to cover lower down. I find the children can often do understand plenty of grammar, but don't know the terms. This sucks when they get to 6 and their test.

6. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

I'd teach a discreet lesson but linked into the topic/text type we were doing at the time. Reinforce it during starters and then apply it within another literacy lesson.

7. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

Discreet first and reinforced in English lessons. We don't use a scheme.