1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discovery Gardens Teacher Accommodation Dubai - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by fixthesky, Feb 25, 2018.

1. fixthesky

fixthesky New commenter

Hi all,

Could anyone shed some light on the quality of the accommodation for teachers in Discovery Gardens? I've read really mixed reviews about it!!

Any info is appreciated - thanks!

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Hey, I lived there when it was first completed. I liked it but when the rental market crashed we were moved to The Springs as those prices became affordable, & then I heard DG went down hill.

3. ecair

ecair New commenter

Hi, I lived there a few years ago. It's certainly not luxurious but our apartment had adequate facilities and was a great size for a couple. I did add some personal touches which improved it a lot but I know this isn't important to a lot of people.

If you drive, the location is very convenient- it's just round the corner from a decent (not brilliant mall) that has a supermarket, a good range of shops, a cinema and Fitness First, and it only takes a few minutes to get onto SZR. That said, you will not want to hang around the area for the smell alone and in terms of restaurants or cafes, there isn't really anything within walking distance.

4. rkhalil

rkhalil New commenter

Hi,

Does anyone know which area of Discovery Gardens most teacher accomodations might be? Is one area “better” than the other? Are the aparements clean?

What smell is the above person referring to exactly? Please someone shed some light!!

Thank you!

5. ecair

ecair New commenter

The smell of the bins in the heat can get very over powering in the hottest months.

Most of the apartments were clean. They were fitted out with very basic fixtures and fittings and we had a few leaks through the ceiling but it was liveable

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I do have some thoughts about the Discovery Gardens teacher accommodation.

I think that this post will probably be deleted because naming a specific school is not permitted on this TES forum.

7. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I might be mistaken but I think in this case Discovery Gardens is an area of Dubai where I suspect many teachers live as it's a bit cheaper than Downtown, The Marina, The Greens, etc. so hopefully he wont fall foul of the rules.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, you are right.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  9. Teabagkarma

Teabagkarma New commenter

Discovery Gardens? Imagine letting a bunch of Scientologists build a council estate.
    That's right - it sounds kind of quirky, you know, Tom Cruise quirky but your main 'discovery' is that there's nothing there.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018