1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discounting pupils from KS2 data

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Professor Dumbledore, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Hello all, I'm not the Head but I wonder if anyone could help with a problem regarding discounting pupils from their KS2 data.
    Our school struggles with very high levels of pupil mobility - this year we have got pupils who are eligible to be discounted from the data as they are International New Arrivals. However, with the support of 1:1 translators, 3 of these pupils have achieved the expected standard in Maths. We disapplied them all from Reading and GPS as they weren't able to access the papers.

The problem is, my LA have requested the names/UPNs of children we are discounting, and they say it is not possible to discount children's data from selected subjects; we either discount them entirely or let them count for all subjects. I'm really unsure what to. Part of me thinks that in previous years we HAVE been able to do this... And if we can't, what do I then do? Discount them and take the hit on the maths attainment, or keep them in and take the hit on the English?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. fairport

fairport New commenter

You can discount recent overseas arrivals (strict criteria) but its all or nothing, I had a child a couple of years ago who got reading and maths, but wasn’t there for writing. Including them in the figures would have pulled down the overall RWM so they were disapplied from the lot. Slight drop on Reading and Maths, but an increase on RWM. Work the figures and go for the solution that works best for your school.

3. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Thanks Fairport. This is really disappointing, and I have to admit I feel quite frustrated. A lot of work went into those children's maths lessons, and then finding reliable translators for the tests. Surely it's often going to be the case that new arrivals will often have zero chance of achieving ARE in English but could do in Maths? I see you disapplied them from all - I think we'll probably end up doing the same but I'll have a play with the percentages today. Thanks for the help.

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Is there no place left for simply reporting the facts?

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The children may well have benefitted from having the translators for the tests, even if you don't get to benefit from the results. I had a Thai lad in year 9, years ago, who got very upset over the English tests, but had the hugest smile on the maths day, because I'd managed to find translators and so he could experience success.