1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discounted Microsoft Equipment?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by bw999, Dec 15, 2011.

1. We are planning to use Kodu as a tool to teach some programming at KS3, and I would really like a class sets of joypads for students touse. The Xbox pad for Windows is around £20, meaning to fill 2 rooms would be £800+, students sharing would still cost £400 or so.

A few questions I am hoping someone will be kind enough to help me with:
    Does anyone know if cheaper pads (unofficial) work with Kodu? Do M$ offer any discounts on this sort of equipment? Is it worth becoming a M$ Academy with the view they might be able to support with this?

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

The mouse/keyboard interface is similar but not quite the same - we get students to use their own Xbox controller or the mouse/keyboard. As you say the cost would be prohibitive and I like Kodu [​IMG]
    Cheaper pads do work and can be found in second hand shops for about £10. MadCatz definitely work (I have one).

3. I know the mouse/keyboard works (tried last year to varying success) but I think I will gain instant goodwill from most students by providing joypads! There are some funding routes I am going to try, I will also look at alternatives to the official pad (I presume if one works they all will, perhaps needing a driver).
    Out of interest while I am here, has anyone tried programming for Kinect (another item on my list of things to try and scrounge funding for!)? I'm thinking this could be very useful/motivating for A2 Computin.