1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discount for siblings

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Lespaul101, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

Hi all,
    Do you offer discounts for siblings?
    I’ve agreed to take on a brother and sister and have now been asked for a rate for both of them. They are 2 school years apart in age so will need to be separate lessons. These lessons will mean I am fully booked and will have to turn down any other enquiries so I’m wondering if I should offer a discount or insist on full payment for both lessons?

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Nit much help, but I have just been approached about taking on a brother and sister, one finishing GCSE and the other A-level. I was wondering the same thing.

3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

If you travel to the students and are able to save some travel time by doing one after the other, then it would be reasonable to offer a modest discount. If it doesn't save you any time I don't think there is any reason to offer a discount.

Last year I had two pairs of siblings. One pair I taught one after the other and so gave a discount as it saved me travelling. The other pair I had to teach on different nights so charged full price.

4. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

I would be doing them one after the other so would save a little travel time but it is only 10 mins drive away so not much. I Don’t want to give too much of a discount or would end up equivalent to giving them a free lesson every month but a couple of pound discount doesn’t seem worthwhile

5. BG54

BG54 New commenter

I currently have two families where I tutor siblings for 2 and 3 hours respectively each week and as I travel to the tutees I'm happy to negotiate a 10 to 15% discount for the convenience and the saving in travelling time.

6. suzette

suzette New commenter

Most of my students are all currently siblings, (I've got six siblings I'm tutoring) but their parents haven't even approached me regarding a discount for lessons. I guess I must be blessed!! :D

7. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Six siblings! Are you tutor to the Rees-Moggs?

bramblesarah and suzette like this.
  8. suzette

suzette New commenter

Ha!! Ha!!! No it's not six siblings all from the same family, I meant six siblings of different families. Two from one family and four from the other. (with two twins in that mix!

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You can explain that as there are only a limited number of hours in the week when tuition can happen, if you were to start offering sibling discounts you'd need to put up your standard rate. Unless there's a significant saving in travel time, it probably doesn't enable you to take on an extra student.

10. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Two lessons for two students (doesn't matter if they are siblings) who are in different years (possibly different key stages) and may have very different needs should be charged at the normal hourly rate per student.

The parents are trying to take advantage and disrespecting your experience and expertise.

11. becca3471

becca3471 New commenter

10% doesn’t sound like a lot; but when you look at private schools sibling discounts it’s often much less than that - so I wouldn’t feel bad about it.

I have siblings that I give a generous discount to (works out to about 17%) which I offered when I was still quite new to tutoring. Now I wouldn’t offer a sibling discount as students come to me anyway so no saving in travel cost.

12. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I would only offer a discount for twins who would be in the same school year as I would only need to prepare one lesson. This session would be charged my group rate.
    However for 2 siblings in different years you would be preparing 2 different lessons so should in my opinion be charging them both the individual rate. I have had some parents who have accepted this but some don't and will go elsewhere.