1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

discount for siblings

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bananamoore, Jun 11, 2012.

1. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

I've been asked to tutor a current student's younger sister starting in September, so will be tutoring both for an hour each on the same evening. What sort of discounts do people offer in this situation? Would be interested to hear! Thanks in anticipation.

2. bananamoore

I've been asked to tutor a current student's younger sister starting in September, so will be tutoring both for an hour each on the same evening. What sort of discounts do people offer in this situation? Would be interested to hear! Thanks in anticipation.

3. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

I've always discounted my sessions if they exceed an hour. I charge £30 an hour or £50 for a block of two hours. I travel to people's houses and that is the reason I'm expensive. I'm actually going to stop discounts or offer them if they book in bulk, because I've had the worse client list this year- constant cancellations!

4. knock a fiver off for not travelling

5. bananamoore

They haven't asked, but I thought it would be a nice gesture! I charge £25 per hour and was thinking of charging £45 for the two hour block. Bearing in mind I've already tutored the son for a year and they have been good, reliable clients.

I'm not at all business-minded by the way!

Cheers for the reponses.

6. Georginalouise

Georginalouise New commenter

I don't discount. My time is worth my hourly rate and that is it. I have been known to do extra sessions in exchange for babysitting though.

7. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I think £45 is reasonable given that the circumstances

8. bananamoore

Thanks. Appreciate the responses and I've taken all comments into consideration - still haven't made my mind up though!