1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disclosing pregnancy at interview

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by muso_musing, Mar 14, 2018.

1. muso_musing

muso_musing New commenter

I'm 7 weeks pregnant (first baby) and applying for a leadership role at my school. I have reason to believe I'm in with a good chance of getting the role which would be great as it's a very exciting opportunity.

What would you do regarding disclosing the pregnancy? I'm torn between:
    A) wanting to be upfront & honest: this is just part of my character & I wouldn't want my Head to feel I'd been disingenuous
    B) not wanting to put the Head in an awkward position by telling him prior to interview as this may make it more difficult to make the decision to give me the job

If I did decide to tell him, would the best time be before I interview or after they (potentially) offer me the job?

In an ideal scenario I wouldn't tell school until after the first scan to make sure everything is ok, but somehow I feel awkward about applying for a job knowing this.

Thanks for any advice from a conflicted & confused preggo person!

2. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

Just interview.dont mention at this early.I had to disclose at 9 weeks as there was an increased workload which i couldnt cope with and had to explain why.i would have rather waited until after the first scan to feel that all was progressing well.im 14 weeks now.

3. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I think if you'd feel bad for not disclosing, then tell them. The question is when you say, before or after the interview/possible offer. They are not allowed to discriminate on that basis, but agree it could feel awkward. Will be interested to see what others say.

4. muso_musing

muso_musing New commenter

Thanks for the replies. Going to mull it over a bit longer, I have some time before the application deadline.

5. vickysimpson1989

vickysimpson1989 New commenter

Why tell them? It is unrelated to the role. A lot of people wouldnt even know at this point anyway. Dont feel bad either. With shared maternity/paternity leave now in play would you expect a male colleague to disclose his partners pregnancy? Especially at this early stage it isnt needed.