1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disciplining SEN students with global developmental delay.

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by emjaygee24, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Hello everyone,

I'm working with a young boy with global developmental delays. He is quite bright, but can be quite lazy at his work. I recently had an incident with him where he thought it was ok to hit me. It was dealt with by the deputy head and the classroom teacher quite well, but it soon became evident that the boy didn't fully understand that what he did was wrong. I proceeded to be quite strict with him for the entire week of lessons following the incident.

Does anyone have advice on what to do about behavioral problems with an SEN student? I try to be quite strict when I need to and otherwise use rewards and positive reinforcement to help my student understand what is and isn't ok. Any ideas besides the usual sticker charts and pencil giveaways for good behavior?

2. You could try telling a story about a boy who hit his teacher etc etc.

3. Hi,
    don't want to sound like the typical let's let children with bad behaviour get off with murder sort of person, but is discipline the thing that's needed? If strictness and whatever the classroom teacher has done hasn't worked maybe a different approach is needed. I had a student with SEN who sometimes would refuse to speak to members of staff, first time she tried it with me i wrote her a note saying that she really hurt my feelings by ignoring me when i was trying to help, however i would be there to help if she wanted it. I placed the note in front of the student and walked off (maybe over exagerating my upsettness) not long later they called me over to apologise and we moved on. Maybe explaining to the student that what happened upset you rather than telling them off might make the student think about their actions.

Maybe this won't work with your child but worked well for me,

Hope things go well
    Ben

4. I agree with Ben, although it does often depend on the child anyway.

I have a child with global developmental delay in my class, and quite often the best way to get him to understand that he has done something unacceptable is to tell him that it has made me very sad, or if in the case of him hitting or kicking, telling him that it hurts (and again makes me very sad) and he understands this very well. We are now at the point with him where if he is verging on repeating the unacceptable behaviours it takes a simple warning of saying his name sternly and he shows he understands he shouldn't be doing it by saying 'sad' or 'hurt'.
    However, with the same child discipline also works - telling him in a very stern tone of voice that he shouldn't be doing it, followed by giving him a choice - if he does it again he will stand in the corner (with his back to the rest of the class) and we ignore him for around 5 minutes, by which time he has calmed down and is ready to join in again. Very rarely he will be spoken to by a member of the management team, however because of these strategies we have in place now this happens much less than it used to.

We have to use both of these methods with him and balance them depending on the seriousness of the behaviours. Sometimes just rewarding everybody else for doing something that he is not doing (like sitting on his chair when asked) works and he soon realises that he doesn't want to miss out on a reward like everybody else.

Hope this helps a bit

Joanna

5. Oh, and you can also get story books called things like 'hands are not for hitting', 'teeth are not for biting' and 'legs are not for kicking' that explain pretty well to children the appropriate use of hands/feet/teeth in school or at home. I got mine from Amazon, quite cheap- think I paid £15 for a set of 3/4

Joanna

6. I had a similar incident last year, child with GDD became increasingly aggresive towards all members of the class, children and adults. I found a social story book, using pictures of him and the people he hurt worked well. Especially when it focused on what his actions made others feel. I used photo's of him, me and some other children and added words using CommunicateInPrint so that he could read it independently after it had been read to him a few times. Incidents of agression became more and more scarse and he showed a real understanding of hurting others, not only physically but also emotionally.
    I agree with the comments above, discipline won't necessarily work but empathy might.