1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discipline

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by segbog, Oct 6, 2011.

1. smbx1

smbx1 New commenter

I have witnessed really bad behaviours coming from the young public in some libraries in a major city. The staff did not show real ability to manage the situation and chose to temporally close the library. This has happened a few times now over a period of months and no progress so far. The same individuals come back aged 10 to 14 (living literally next door) and commit further outrage: disrespect to social rules as how to best use libraries (no food, no drinks, no ball games, no fireworks...) bad language, insult to staff. It even turned into a gang battle once inside the library. They now started using staff cars as an object of revenge, removing caps on wheels and pulling aerials. But what worries me is the obviously inadequate measures that the council/staff are taking (or rather lack of measures). Closing the libraries is one thing, they should also give clear instructions to all staff coming to the libraries in question, identify the individuals that cause havoc and also give them clear instructions as to what will happen if they choose to carry on behaving the way they do. At this point in time, it seems to me that the staff is just hoping they can get away from the issue by the end of their day and that all of them just wait and see if the matter gets worse with a truly gruesome incident before they really have to take a more drastic measure, which at the moment they have no balls to take.
    Libraries are public places. They should be safe and people should be able to enjoy going there. Just like schools are meant for learning without a handful of individuals to spoil it all for others. Has our society got the wrong attitude with discipline and young people I wonder? some young people (often the most vulnerable) certainly can pick up that one and give everyone a ride.

2. 0mcam1

0mcam1 New commenter

The weakness of this is in your line " consistently sanction the ones who don't" - because without effective line manager support there's nowt that will work....and it will become your fault all too quickly.

3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Raymondo is the fountain of all educational knowledge, 0mcam1.

4. ladywholunch

ladywholunch New commenter

An old chestnut - and OK, maybe not very helpful - but as translated by Robert Fagles, Socrates stated the youth of his era in Athens were:

"... decadent, displayed bad manners, contempt for authority, disrespect to elders, and a love for chatter in place of exercise. …

Children began to be the tyrants, not the slaves, of their households. They no longer rose from their seats when an elder entered the room; they contradicted their parents, chattered before company, gobbled up the dainties at table, and committed various offences against (Hellenic) tastes, such as crossing their legs. They tyrannised over the paidagogoi and schoolmasters..."

And that's when they could thrash them!

I have my relationship breakdowns with children but when it comes down to it that's what you need - a decent working relationship with mutual respect. If you are not scary enough for them to snap to attention when you enter a room the only alternative is to talk to them like a little workforce. Making rules together, sharing goals and then proceeding and then being the mediator between the goals, rules and the kids. Praise if they make it, points off if they break it, demonstrate trust so they can take it.
    If a kid is still more than a handful take the evidence to a superior and seek support based on that.