1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discipline

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by segbog, Oct 6, 2011.

1. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

I think the fact that you feel better for saying it clearly shows
    "feral" has emotive connotations. Of course, if it
    makes you feel better, it will make others feel worse.

Of course, though, it's only “true” by definitions you choose
    to accept, which makes it tautologous: feral behaviour is feral
    because I define it as feral...

So "feral" behaviour is any behaviour you wouldn’t
    accept in your house?

Can't remember the last time the feral cat that hangs about our
    area played loud music until 3 in the morning... [​IMG]

2. Got one here that does - screeched like Bjork with a sore throat this morning.......

3. RaymondSoltysek

[​IMG]

4. To be honest I was just being silly, but your determination to impose your viewpoint on others is a little disconcerting. The TES site is not a place where I would seek out answers to direct me in life. Although I did get good advice on central heating once...

5. RaymondSoltysek

Impose? Daring to question you when you are being "silly" is me "imposing" my viewpoint in a "disconcerting" manner?
    Get a life. [​IMG]

6. Gosh you are funny!
    Do you ever read what you write? I have posted twice in this debate and you have taken umbrage to what I have written even though they are flippant comments. You say i should 'get a life' .
    And to think I often defended you when Big Jimmy ripped your postings to shreds ... Next you will say that he didn't have your measure but older posters will remember things more clearly. Your petty mindedness makes me wonder about your classroom management skills... as does your dogmatic approach to addressing posters on here.

7. How do you figure that out? Even if I accept the emotive nature of the word, are we not allowed to complain about behaviour or the pupils? This is an anonymous forum, mainly populated by teachers - who exactly is it you think is feeling worse as a result of St Joseph venting his/her emotions?

8. You are pretty keen to suggest your point of view is the correct one. It's a quality I recognise [​IMG] but I don't think telling posters to "get a life" is particularly useful if what you really want is a discussion on the topic.

9. RaymondSoltysek

Don't be silly. I've been using emoticons to demonstrate that I was not taking "umbrage" at your comments. You're simply trying to pick an old fashioned fight, hence your reference to times gone by.

10. RaymondSoltysek

Well, suggesting my views are right is hardly "imposing" my views on others! St Joe is pretty good at that too! [​IMG]

11. RaymondSoltysek

Of course we can complain about pupils! But if we use words
    like "feral" to make ourselves feel good, we may offend
    others - as you yourself agreed.

Yes, this is an anonymous forum. However, words spoken in the
    "privacy" of our homes or on forums may suggest a mindset.
    If we think of human beings as animals in our heads and talk about
    human beings as animals in private, that may well have an effect on
    our behaviour in public.

For instance, so you think BNP members who use derogatory language
    about ethnic minorities in private do not display that in their
    public behaviour? And of course, I'm not comparing teachers who
    use the word "feral" to racists - I'm just trying to find
    an analogy.

However, as you said, you have your opinion, I have mine - we
    could leave it at that.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Never mind,Ray. I'm sure that TES gives you plenty anedoctal material to pad out your lectures with.

13. RaymondSoltysek

Oh, tons! [​IMG]

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

[​IMG]

15. far from picking a fight, ray i was acting in a feral manner to allow you to demonstrate your skill at managing difficult (feral) attitudes. My flippancy was met by the instruction to get a life... Convincing stuff. Oh and your emoticon usage reminds me of Gordon Brown's smile.

16. I agreed no such thing! in fact, my post specifically disagreed with that point. You may have misunderstood what I said earlier about the possibility that anything could be considered offensive by some. That doesn't mean that we should reduce our language to insipid platitudes in order to avoid offending people.
    Human beings are animals. Unless you're going down the religious route that humans are differentiated by a soul, then there's really not much argument there. I don't think your BNP analogy is particularly useful. Race can't be changed and we shouldn't make judgements on something as superficial as skin colour. Behaviour can be changed and I see no reason why we shouldn't judge a child by his or her behaviour, especially as part of our role seems to be teaching him or her to be a responsible citizen.

17. Anyway, this all distracts from the discussion as to what one actually doe when faced with children who exhibit the antisocial behaviours one might expect from a feral animal.

18. I really don't care what some Uni guy thinks. He was not in that class when I was trying to control feral children- yes - feral children - I met them outside and they were. It is not their fault, but it is not mine either.
    Help is needed from SMT - there lies the problem. These children are living in a culture where they think it is macho and correct to try and get rid of their teachers. These kids need to be educated. They have obviously been failed before, and this is the result. They have been through years of this. I cannot, as an individual teacher, change this in a few months. It is not going to happen. There is no authority or direction where it should be coming from, and to be honest, we all know that.
    Make of that what you will.

19. It seems you are in a very difficult situation. Did you ever think of lining them up before they enter the class? Thought not - see a wee tip from my Jordanhill tutor works wonders...?
    Seriously involve your union and impose all sanctions you can. Record your actions in a journal and ask sympathetic colleagues to verify your notes. Stand up and show that it will not be tolerated in the classroom and outwith. Then if it is tolerated you are not at fault.
    I wish I could offer an easy solution but this is a social problem. Make sure you do your job and collect evidence to support your efforts.
    Some pupils are feral but they are in the minority and you can win the others over if you have the will and,importantly, the support to do so.

20. RaymondSoltysek

Quite splendid advice, st joe - and just the type of thing I've recommended myself in the past:

https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6087754

See, great minds do think alike! What a pity segbog doesn't appreciate me because I'm the "Uni guy", though!