1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

disciplinary

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Gardening Leaves, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I think your Head is more of a nutter than my ex-Head - and that's saying something!!!
    Ring your union at regional level. If you get the brush off, go higher. I think there are a number of us on here with experience of getting unions to act higher up the food chain. Make it quite clear that you are the victim of a series of malicious allegations and threats and that others in the school are too. Tell them that you have another job from Easter but that this woman's behaviour is making you very ill. Ask for their support in writing the grievance and taking further action against this woman. As OGW said, further up, it's what you pay your subs for. Tell them if they do not take your situation seriously, you will make a formal complaint about the union to the TUC.

2. Now, this is almost certainly not the route you want to go down, but.... remember you could take legal action. if you have evidence & witnesses.... it is an option. I wouldn't do it being your union's back though.

3. Thank you.
    I need to be pushier with the union, I think - but they really are very vague, unhelpful and even when I've been as high as I thought I could go, I have felt as if I was being given the brush-off. I also don't think they really listen; I told my regional rep several times that I would not be moving house in order to take up my new post, but still she kept mentioning 'location, location' and buying a new property last time I spoke to her. I know it is a small thing, and not strictly speaking relevant but it does demonstrate that she pays little attention to what I say.
    I'm just so upset and panicked. I wonder - if you could claim compensation, how much would you charge somebody for a ruined Christmas, for making you cry, for marring your weekends with worry and anxiety, for all the nights you lie awake unable to sleep, for every morning you have a stomach upset before work, for every time you cry in school, for all the times you are embarrassed, hurt and humiliated in front of colleagues and children and parents. Can you even put a price on that? I don't know if you can.

4. Gardening Leaves

It is indeed an option, but best with union support if they will sponsor the action. It's expensive to go it alone.

5. I know what you mean by things being twisted. My last Head, when she was going through things that she could possibly throw at me, called my attention to an 'incident' when I was ill with flu-ey symptoms, and the DH advised me to go home. I thanked him but said I would be alright and, the next day, I felt better. Later, the Head accused me of not going home because I wanted to take out my frustrations on the students.

6. Before I took this post I think, to my shame, I would have assumed there was more to it than that.
    I can't say what the lowest my Head sunk to was. I wish I could, as it's so disgusting but it would identify not only her, but me as well.

7. Gardening Leaves

Yep. Lawyers work on guidance from awards made in similar cases.
    http://www.oldsquare.co.uk/news/1/?c=30239

8. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Except it's not funny.

9. What price do you put on a spoiled Christmas and all this stress?
    I'd say it partly equates to your GP hearing how much pressure you are under, and signing you off until your new job starts.
    It's a little compensation.

10. This souds very similar to my recent post.. which actually ended in the head ending my contract without specific reason.. only quoting a clause in my contract 'either party may give 8 weeks notice within the first year of employment'. I was sent a letter at half term and told not to work my notice so I didnt even get a chance to say goodbye to the children. It was awful.. it is so difficult as you put your all into teaching.. its your everything. My previous school gave me a glowing reference and I loved it there.. im regretting leaving that one now!
    I was ill from the september untill just after christmas because of everything the head did (or didnt) do.. I still carried on but wish I hadnt bothered now.

Best of luck.. youre better off out of there.. just think about all the amazing places there are to work other than this one. x

11. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Ring head office and complain. Tell them that if you have to see an employment solicitor you will also be claiming all your subs back. It has happened to the NUT already.

12. The union say they can't do anything because I have only been threatened with a disciplinary - the union rep seems to think it is unlikely anything will come out of this threat because of the short time before I leave and because of strong evidence in my favour.
    They also say the only option is a grievance, which they advised against because I have such little time left at the school. Is just seems so wrong that I can be bullied like this without any comeback for the bully.

13. Torey

If you are leaving I'd take all your evidence and notes to an employment solicitor and pay to get them to write the grievance for you.

14. Torey

I have replied to your PM.

15. Thank you, Torey [​IMG]
    I am now feeling extremely stressed about tomorrow. I don't know if it is best to go in, because at least that way I have a grip on what is happening, or if it puts me more at risk from this sort of behaviour.
    I'm just really at a loss as to what to do for the best.

16. if you area leaving at easter anyway, perhaps getting signed off with work related stress is the way forward for the next 3 weeks.

17. Well yes, but then suppose the Head finds unmarked work or someone makes an "allegation"? Im some ways it's scarier being away than it is being in.
    I also feel terrible about some of the nicer kids, who haven't had any stability in teaching at all this term. I know it isn't my fault but it's not right. I feel absolutely sick with dread about tomorrow.

18. Get yourself to the doctor and get signed off until the Easter holiday. You are making yourself ill with worry and in your highly stressed state you may not be fit to be at work.
    Ask for a longer appointment with your GP and tell them everything about how you feel. I'm surprised you haven't been to see them before now. Humans can only take so much cr-ap before they break, you sound like you've had more than you can take.
    Hope you feel better soon.

19. I'm frightened to do that in case something is alleged or found in my absence. I don't know what to do. I rang the teacher support line earlier but I'm still so anxious and can't sleep. We have a long staff meeting tomorrow.

20. I really, really wouldn't go in. If allegations are made or found, then you will be in a better situation to defend them if you are not as stressed as you sound you are.
    I'd also get onto your union pronto as this is exactly why you pay your subscription fees. If they aren't helping you then join a different one, or take legal advice elsewhere and bill them for the solicitors. Go beyond regional if you can.