1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disciplinary procedures- urgent help required

Discussion in 'Personal' started by netsy2, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Hi.
    I need help urgently.
    Does anyone know what the formal stages of disciplinary procedures are? e,g. vwhat constitutes a verbal warning, written warning, what would the next steps be, formal procedures. Are the stages national or does each school have its own procedures?

Thanks for quick reply.

2. Hi.
    I need help urgently.
    Does anyone know what the formal stages of disciplinary procedures are? e,g. vwhat constitutes a verbal warning, written warning, what would the next steps be, formal procedures. Are the stages national or does each school have its own procedures?

Thanks for quick reply.

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Each school wil have its own, but probably based on the county/unitary authority guidelines.

4. And talk to your Union. Phone their regional office.

5. Your school will have a policy, usually the same as that of the LA (unless you're an academy). It should be freely available to staff and is often kept on the schools VLE for staff to consult. Most policies are fairly similar so this is how things go in our LA
    Internal investigation (to see if there is a case to answer) leading to no further action or verbal warning or referral to governors.
    Governor panel leading to verbal warning, first written warning, final written warning or dismissal,
    The outcome of a governor panel can be appealed against.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I don't think so ...

7. jellycowfish

jellycowfish New commenter

I was given initially a verbal, then a written warning by my head, but discovered (too late) that the official channels are that a HT can give a verbal, but it has to go infront of Govs Disciplinary panel before a Written warning can be given.

8. A governor panel can give a verbal warning, or no warning at all although from what I've seen that never happens. If you get to governors the least you'll leave with is a first written warning.

9. Thanks for all replies. The NUT says that what was given was not a written warning but management advice (not to do it again) and next time there wil be formal proceedings. Sorry can't say details but I think it was unwarranted.
    So can carry on with a sigh of relief in some ways but it was a shock and will take some getting over.