1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disciplinary for running over finish time at parents evening.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by vij_chauhan, Oct 18, 2017.

1. vij_chauhan

vij_chauhan New commenter

Hi

Can I have your thoughts on this...

I was approached by a union rep who has intervened a potential and most likely disciplinary for continously running over at parents evenings...

It's not that I'm late or absent. it's just than our school runs it's parents evening from 430 to 655pm has 30 times slots of 5mins with class sizes of 32 and that's if you just have one class in that year group. Usually I am the last one to finish. it's not by choice and there are several reasons I believe this is due to but smt and the head don't. .. is this fair and also has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks

2. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

@vij_chauhan
    I've never heard of it before, but it seems pretty ludicrous. You'd think that they would be glad that you were willing to do it!
    We used to have 5 minute slots and frankly they are pretty useless. Some parents come on time. Some don't. Some don't come at all. Extra ones turn up. And most want more than 5 minutes (which is about 4 and a half once you include a quick hello and goodbye)
    However, this is the process in your school, so really, you need to get on with it. If parents need any more time they need to schedule some further time with you a later date. A TA can be very useful at parents evenings if you have one, and if school has them attend. Them coming up to you quietly and looking at their watch and saying quietly "I'm afraid you need to get on to your next student, Mr C", can be very helpful. Failing that, you need a short script in your head of the minimal information you need to share at that meeting,(generally) and you need to stick with it. Ask a few other teachers in the school what they do...it may help.

3. vij_chauhan

they do that as in.. and say in front of patents "you have a lot of people waiting can you speed things up" but I can read the time and find it very patronising and makes me look very unprofessional.

Curae likes this.
  4. suzuki1690

suzuki1690 New commenter

I always over ran at parents nights and other teachers would comment on it. However the management never took any interest as long as the parents were happy and they were. We had the head teacher on the tannoy about 5 minutes or so from the end telling parents that parents night was now finished and teachers had a home to go to! Out of interest how many minutes over the end of parents night do you go on average? I would be shocked if anyone made an issue of this unless there were very strong reasons, eg janitors etc needing to get home and it costing the school money in overtime because of just you. I could never get in what I needed to say in 5 minutes and the parents dont help and they sit and listen and then talk which goes over time. If the school really has an issue, I would go to time exactly and tell each and every parent that I am following policy as the school insists I stick to 5 minutes. Unbelievable that this is an issue, other than just having a word in your ear if need be.

5. suzuki1690

suzuki1690 New commenter

Did the union rep approach you first and not the management? That's a bit strange if that's the case as the Union Rep should not be doing the work of the management.

6. vij_chauhan

union rep delivered a message on a piece of paper saying I have a meeting with one of them tomorrow. no mention what this was regarding. then when I enquired about the issue they said it was about patents evening and used the word disciplinary and that this was meant to be an intervention like meeting

7. vij_chauhan

yeah basically union rep came with a note saying I have a meeting with a member of smt tomorrow no mention what it was regarding. when pursuing further with reo they said it was time management with parents eve and the development word was used and this was like an intervention like.. they said there's been complaints over past few years but they didn't tell me of such things as this would then have led to a disciplinary. I am aware that I overrun and have raised issues with why and resolutions but nothing back, guess it's because I'm just a teacher and not a member of seniority. in my 12 years of teaching I've only ever had one annoyed parent who later apologised and commended my efforts once their child got an A. Funny that. I don't run in every patents eve only when I have a full class or two classes where every time slot I'd taken with no break. our school has just under 300 in each year group and I share a room with 3 other teachers in classroom where patents eve takes place

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I am sitting here reading this and I can't believe it.

How could SMT be so stupid as to make this issue into a disciplinary matter? If they are annoyed you are running late, then tough. The classes are huge and if the parents are not complaining then what is the problem?

PLEASE start looking for another post- somewhere where rational human beings work.

After reading this I want to cry. I am sitting here without any work today ( I am a supply teacher) and there are insane people running schools.

If this is such big issue for them there are other ways to address it without going about contacting union reps and such like.

9. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Don't prejudge it, just go and see what the issue really is - if it's disciplinary it will be deeper than running OT at parents evening OR it's not disciplinary and either you or your rep have misrepresented it.

As a related aside, if other teachers' appointments depend on you finishing on time, your time management issue is actually an issue with wider repercussions and does need sorting out.

10. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I can understand there is an issue if the school wants you to run to time and you aren’t. However, they can chat to you and sort it. Disciplinary issue? Ridiculous!

TCSC47, pepper5 and tonymars like this.
  11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Just tell them the meeting can only last 5 minutes, as per their policy ;)

lardylady and pepper5 like this.
  12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I worked at a school (independent) where the HT's PA would ring a bell every 5 minutes...and that was the end of the 'slot'! Took all pressure off the teacher! Maybe the OP could have a stopwatch on the desk, and after 5 minutes say: 'Sorry, as per my HT's instruction I must now end this consultation. Goodbye'! o_O

Mind you, if I were the OP come the next parents' evening day I would phone in sick and take day/parents' evening off. Just to show the b*ggers up.

vinnie24, TCSC47 and pepper5 like this.
  13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

HI Frank

I like the idea of the HT's PA ringing a bell. They could have one of those big cow bells and hit it with a metal bar.

14. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Both indie schools I've worked at use a good old fashioned dinner bell ... the first school was for 7 minute appointments and the current one is 5 minutes. The office staff and SLT are terriers when it comes to chasing off any malingering parents too. It works very well.

I've always wanted them to use an air horn for the last appointment of the night, but so far they are resisting.

15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I would have been doomed years ago!
    Not all of it was my fault, often I was left waiting for a parent trapped somewhere else, however, I was taking my job seriously, building links with parents and selling that school.

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Any (imagined or otherwise) breach of procedure is firmly secondary to other issues here.
    My conspiracy antennae are jumping at this.
    What sort of union rep delivers said message?
    A union rep with the correct interests would straight away comment on the absurdity in line with the wise comments already posted.
    But even before presuming that, you need to think, what sort of management even asks a teacher to meeting via the union rep?
    This union rep is a conduit, not a partisan supporter of what the union represents, because if they had the required degree of integrity for their role, they would have simply refused to deliver the message. It is completely incorrect procedure, because you are given the message from the get go that that rep is working for management before they are working for you. if management have some beef with you, they ought to contact you and inform you that you are to approach your rep if you want. It follows that you are working with multiple layers of procedural cowardice, complicit in an attempt from the top to undermine you.
    This smells just so wrong. Not the watery made up allegation, but the modus operandi.
    My advice is to seek a rep outside of the school immediately-you will get their antennae buzzing faster than my own when you tell them how this message was borne, and that's before even looking into the supposed matter of inquiry.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  17. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

There are a range of strategies that seasoned teachers use to ensure one's parents' evening slots run efficiently.

They are too numerous to list here, but I would certainly advise a candid chat with a more experienced member of the school as to some of the things we teachers do.

18. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

SLT should not know which union you are in. I would ask regional office to attend since school rep is not acting in your best interest, Utterly ridiculous complaint.

19. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Impressive pre-fact escalation peeps.

catmother and sbkrobson like this.
  20. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

"I am sitting here reading this and I can't believe it."

My sentiment entirely.

gingerhobo48, LoopyLew, Curae and 6 others like this.