1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

discipinary letter

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by endoftheroad, Feb 11, 2012.

1. endoftheroad

endoftheroad New commenter

My brother in law, dh in school was given letter re discipinary last day of half term. Sister in bits. Should this be allowed on the last day? How can he relax over this week\/ Don't know what advice to give

2. endoftheroad

My brother in law, dh in school was given letter re discipinary last day of half term. Sister in bits. Should this be allowed on the last day? How can he relax over this week\/ Don't know what advice to give

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

He should contact his union regional office immediately.

Immediately.

4. endoftheroad

Thanks, he has done

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It is allowed, and it is sadly a common strategy which I am not sure whether it aims to stress the party or give them time to think and prepare.... Hopefully the week off will give him a chance to contact his union in working hours and get some support.

6. Before I moved from MM into SLT I pondered this on many occasions.
    My observations now are:
    • Some HTs DO use this as a tactic in stressing the person further
    • Sometimes the issues only become apparent towards the end of the term (have to have been there to have done something so unlikely to happen at the start of the time) and so they get actioned then
    • Some HTs have a hissy fit at the end of term in realising how many things need to be done and so lots of things are actioned very last minute in terms of school term time
    • Some HTs are trying to plan such things if they are relatively sure that it ill have knock on effect to a time that thye can have a Plan B in place - and the extra week's grace may mean that the HT has time to investigate a supply/replacement....

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

A standard nasty strategy, alas.
    How nice you are, Daisy, to believe it was done to give the other party time to prepare! This was deliberately timed to destroy the weekend / holiday and to unsettle the recipient. The HT probably hopes the union office will be closed during the half term holiday.
    Usual heavy-handed bullying tactic. I am so sorry.

8. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

What a horrible thing to happen - I'm so sorry that you all have been put under so much stress.
    However, it does beat NOT being given a letter - just having it sprung on you with no warning, as happened to me! I just hope that there is a special place in hell for such HTs.

9. Just to add another point...
    On many occasions, a HT may also give the letter at the end of a term, so that the number of working days (though they maybe teacher holidays)will have been given in notice for the meeting to take place.
    This could be so that:
    • it is easier on the teacher - to sit this out at home, not having to come into work everyday knowing it is hangng over them, so they then come into work and the meeting is held on their first day back...
    • it is also done in this manner as it often becomes more difficult to seek well informed advice et, as though unions are open, they may well be running on skeleton staff, and certainly regional reps are often also teachers, so likely to be away...
    This said if the latter, the teacher has the right to postpone the date of the meeting if suitable representative could not be found in the timescale given.

10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

It's nasty, spiteful and vicious, and therefore reflect the character of the HT.

11. It is nasty...makes me feel quite sick to read yet another thread where teachers are being bullied and harassed. Sorry I couldn't be any help.

12. DaisysLot

That isn't what I said.... "I'm not sure whether..." was definitely in there somewhere. While I don't wish a pants holiday on anyone, or anyone to be left unsupported regardless of the reason for the disciplinary action I wonder if we would all leap shouting out cry if the reason for disciplinary was for a valid issue, say child protection or some such... Disciplinary occurs for a vast variety of reasons from pinching blue tac through to child abuse.

13. I'd send a reply to the head on the saturday, advising him that all further written and verbal communication on this matter should be conducted through your appointed legal representative and ask him/her to provide details of his legal representative within 24 hours.

14. Funnily enough, I asked my former Head of HR about this when we all got a letter in our previous job on a Saturday morning, saying that we were at risk of redundancy.
    When I asked the reason for this, she said it was to give the staff time to calm down before coming back to work.
    My cynical brain thinks it's so that the nearest and dearest get all of the emotional fall out instead of the 'managers'.
    I agree with those on here who say that this was a nasty thing to happen and it's good that your brother in law has contacted his union swiftly!
    Hope things improve for him and your family!

15. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

It is a despicable thing to do; I have done this to me and I agree that it is done deliberately to ruin our weekend/holiday etc...especially if it is done on a Friday afternoon when the chances of getting hold of Union is nil to Monday! However, I have got my own back - I now deliberately send my ex-head emails requesting Data protection information etc. on a Friday afternoon, copying in various members of the LEA and my MP... it is sweet revenge, especially when I send a 'read receipt' request and know he has opened it... makes MY weekend!!! :)

16. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

LOL too!
    I have found a particular kind of satisfaction from timing Subject Access requests, with a 40 day statutory deadline, 2 or 3 days into the summer holidays when I know the senior staff have just flown abroad...

17. DaisysLot

We still don't know what the disciplinary is for.... For all we here know it could be perfectly valid, or quite serious.

18. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

It's none of our business!

19. DaisysLot

Quite. But I am resistant to out pouring sympathy if the disciplinary letter was a result of some valid child protection concern.