1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discilpinary hearing

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bonnie23, May 8, 2019.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

Currently I'm signed off from work with stress and have a disciplinary hearing next week. They have already stated that I won't be dismissed but could get up to a final warning.

I'm very anxious about this and I think the anxiety stems from not knowing what is going to happen in the hearing. I've never been through one before and I don't know what the formalities are. Can anyone give me advice on what to expect. For example what will they do? What will I need to do? etc.

Thank you for any advice.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are your union representing you? They are best placed to explain the procedure.

Do you have a copy of the school's Disciplinary policy? You should have. It should also explain the procedure.

3. Bonnie23

Yes I have a union rep who I'm meeting early next week. I also have a copy of all the investigation notes and policy but there doesn't seem to be much about the procedure.

4. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

I've been through one if you'd like to pm me

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The procedure should be in the policy.

More or less it goes like this:
    • They set out the reasons they believe you have acted unprofessionally
    • You either:
    Answer with explanations for the events, showing that you made a mistake, but weren't unprofessional.
    Answer with explanations for the events, showing that you accept you were unprofessional but have learnt from it and are not going to repeat the incident.
    Answer to show you have done nothing wrong and the allegation against you is false.
    • They ask you questions
    • You ask them questions
    • The panel asks questions
    • You all disappear off for a while and the panel discuss what they've heard.
    • You all come back and they inform you of the decision and any penalty
    You then get a letter a short time later confirming the decision and penalty and informing you of the appeals procedure.

It's great that they have told you that you won't be dismissed. A final warning will have a time limit and it will expire. Then you can easily apply for other posts and move on. It's hard to go back to work after such an event, but it is entirely possible and you will almost certainly find colleagues are hugely supportive and sympathetic.
    Best of luck.

Piranha and Bonnie23 like this.
  6. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

As you are signed off with stress, has your GP said you are well enough to attend the hearing?

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I should query that comment, because if you are involved in a disciplinary the scenario needs to invoke the First Rule of Fight Club, in that it's not really something to be discussed, ergo there ought not to be overt scope for collegiate support and sympathy.
    Maybe that comes across as harsh, but formal warnings and or disciplinaries are just not up for dealing with discursively, for many good reasons. That would be union advice too I expect.
    Besides which, OP has already express a mistrust of colleagues in another recent thread.
    One way to deal with that which is often mentioned on here is to focus on the job and avoid any redundant chat with others. It's a legitimate and professional way of moving on.
    Support and sympathy are completely at odds with this, although those things are frequently offered here. Posters are good like that.

corgie11 likes this.
  8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Your discussion with your union rep will be far more useful than anything we can say. There seem to be two possible scenarios. One is that you think the charges are unjustified and you aim to refute them. The other one is that you realise they are probably justified, in which case you show contrition and convince them that there is no danger of doing the same thing again. Your union will be able to say if there is a good chance of the former working. If not, the second option is going to be far less stressful as you know you won't be dismissed. That suggests to me that the school is sympathetic to your position, as many (most?) schools would leave you to worry about that possibility. And, total honesty could well be rewarded with a lesser penalty.

I hope it works out as well as it could.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

And has also posted that (presumably other) colleagues were the ones to express concern that the OP wasn't ok and to suggest they go home and then see a GP.
    So probably, like many of us, some colleagues are lovely and some are not.
    The OP was also suspended for a time, so presumably colleagues are aware something is going on.

10. Bonnie23

Hi,

I had my discinplinary hearing today and was given a written warning which stays for 12 months on my record.

Another job has come up closer to where I would like to be located however with a warning on my record I'm not sure how I stand in terms of being able to leave and issues with references etc.

If anyone has any advice I'd be really grateful. Thank you.

11. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

It depends on the school you are going to.

I had a colleague who was given a final warning that stayed on for 5 years.....

He left a three or four years ago as a CRT within the five years, within a year or so IIRC and he is now deputy head at his new school

12. princesslegend

princesslegend Occasional commenter

I'd probably stay put until it's off your record tbh.
    Do eithe the OP or SLT still have to declare it on forms though? Always wondered! Genuinely would like to know the answer...

DIPS1 likes this.