1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disatisfied pupil/disruptive class

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by shades14, Mar 3, 2011.

1. I have a year 9 class, who have recently been changed round and streamed, so people have left the class, and some have come into the class. I have a real problem with one or two of them in this class. One particularly disruptive pupil, who is always on report, and is insolent and tends to be the bad apple in the class. He has been excluded once or twice from my class, and spent time with HOY, but always comes back unfortunately. I have changed the seat plan, issued detentions, but he and a few other pupils who disrupt the lesson and make it unpleasant for the good ones, just continue to make things difficult in class.
    One of the new pupils to the class has told their parent, who has told the head of year, that it is disruptive and she cant work, and she wants to move classes. its also a co-incidence she has move from a higher ability class to this lower ability class (could be some sour grapes). After this complaint I have looked at her work, and she seems to be doing very little at all, whereas I know some of the good kids are completing their work as I ask them.
    I am wondering if any one has any advice, i.e. how to handle her, how to handle the bad behaviour, I am at a bit of a loss, and a bit embarrased to be honest, so any help would be appreciated.

2. I have a year 9 class, who have recently been changed round and streamed, so people have left the class, and some have come into the class. I have a real problem with one or two of them in this class. One particularly disruptive pupil, who is always on report, and is insolent and tends to be the bad apple in the class. He has been excluded once or twice from my class, and spent time with HOY, but always comes back unfortunately. I have changed the seat plan, issued detentions, but he and a few other pupils who disrupt the lesson and make it unpleasant for the good ones, just continue to make things difficult in class.
    One of the new pupils to the class has told their parent, who has told the head of year, that it is disruptive and she cant work, and she wants to move classes. its also a co-incidence she has move from a higher ability class to this lower ability class (could be some sour grapes). After this complaint I have looked at her work, and she seems to be doing very little at all, whereas I know some of the good kids are completing their work as I ask them.
    I am wondering if any one has any advice, i.e. how to handle her, how to handle the bad behaviour, I am at a bit of a loss, and a bit embarrased to be honest, so any help would be appreciated.

3. If it's this one boy causing problems more than anyone else, is there any where else you can send him? Do you have any sort of on call system or another classroom where you can park him when he misbehaves? If not - could you arrange with another teacher to take him off your hands?
    If it's just oen or two students in my class, i get rid of them to on call. Then the problems really start when it's loads of them at once!

4. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Hi, why was she moved down? Find out and meet with the parents. Prob was lazy - although that's not a good reason really to be moved down - parents should have been made aware of reason for move. Discuss with them what she needs to do to improve and maybe gain a move upwards?

As for year 9s I have class with young offenders and over half that are major trouble makers. Just keep teaching, apply sanctions and do student centred teaching so the smarter ones can work when trouble arises. Isolate the worst offenders and meet parents etc. It's an endurance test and I guess you have a mixed ability class streamed by behaviour so you will need to diiferentiate/ adapt a lot. Ask for ta or support and flag up the issue. Do lots of practicals and hands on activities. Isolate the worst trouble maker in fun activities and make it clear that they are welcome back if behaviour acceptable next lesson. Use rewards praise more than punishments. Call the good kids parents and say well done! Over time they will follow you. It is depressing I know at times but last year I did my nqt year and realise how many mistakes I made

5. Hi,
    Thanks for your ideas I will keep them in mind. I have had this class again since my last post. It went a lot better, I made sure the task wasnt too difficult, and I also applied some behavour rules before the class started.one of them was to work in silence when I said and it did work. I told them if they didnt comply I would apply the school sanctions.
    Any other ideas would be appreciated !