1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disastrous Job Applications

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by the hippo, Mar 16, 2010.

1. rooster1

rooster1 New commenter

I know! Through speaking loudly and slowly and waving my arms around or I could employ a translator and thus using mathematics (to calculate the funds required and exchange rate to local currency) I would be able to communicate! Having said that I would probably not broach the subject for fear of revealing my own ignorance.
    Right quick back into the bunker to see if that sets anyone off.

2. rooster1

rooster1 New commenter

I know! Through speaking loudly and slowly and waving my arms around or I could employ a translator and thus using mathematics (to calculate the funds required and exchange rate to local currency) I would be able to communicate! Having said that I would probably not broach the subject for fear of revealing my own ignorance.
    Right quick back into the bunker before that sets anyone off.

3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Isn't that called "testiculation" (ie waving your arms around and talking ***)?

4. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

well depending upon whether the goat herder you are talking to speaks the international language of decimal rather than the slightly more complex hexadecimal it would be:
    89111117 97114101 97 99114101116105110
    I doubt that it would translate easily to Albanian

5. bigfatgit

I can't believe the filter blocked b o l l o x

6. Hello,

I am a qualified teacher from Poland and I hold my QTS. Finished my studies in 2004 and achieved my BEd. I studied Teaching English Language as a Foreign Language. Despite the fact that I have all the qualifications needed and lots of experience I still work as a TA! I keep applying for jobs as a class teacher but nothing seems to happen. Some schools do not even reply to tell me that 'Unfortunately, this time....'.

I also work as a supply teacher for my school (KS1 & KS2); I do planning and marking, I organise the lessons, I teach maths to special needs children, I prepare PE and Art classes, go on courses and have brilliant references from the teachers I work with and from my headmaster. I do not understand why it has been so difficult ;(

Any pieces of advice, please?

7. ayo

ayo

We were enticed by the Madam with her offer of lots of money and lots of other fantasies. We did not stay long!

8. Anyone who cannot put a capital I when they are talking about themselves (i.e. i) is immediately disqualified in my school.

9. Abolishofsted,
    'from' my school. As perhaps you should be.

10. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

Mainwaring. I appreciate both the technical advice and the correction. That explains why I have never worked in a glamorous location.

11. Now now boys and girls, we're all friends here...[​IMG]

12. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Nothing contentious, young pouched person. Could you, perhaps, have missed the point? Apologies for the two overlapping posts (before Clovis rushes in to accuse me of gaga-garrulity). My first one apparently disappeared into the ether with the usual inane cyber 'oops!'

13. There is a lot of good advice from Arepa and other threads. Do not give up applying, keep trying. Do a lot of research and narrow down what you apply for. Every school is different. It is very important to keep your letter of application close to the job description. Languages help too!
    I have been teaching over 30 years and have just returned abroad to teach after many years in UK. At one stage I could go for any job I wanted but now as I am older it is harder and for next August I still have not managed to secure one. However I keep applying and tailor every application to what the school requires. You learn from experience what works and you realise every school has its own criteria. If you manage to get interviews you know that your applications are fine. This I manage to do but I always look on the fact that I am interviewing the school too and that I have to be happy there as part of the team. If you are abroad you have to accept the way of life where you are and learn to be discrete. Salary is important so research the country.
    Good hunting and have fun!

14. bigfatgit

Good advice.
    Definitely don't do what one pillock just did to me. Long email of application (with CV attached) about how he much wants to work at "your school", how his educational philosophy matched perfectly with "your school", how he had been an admirer of "your school" for many years etc.
    Very impressive unless you looked at the top of the email and you realised that it had been sent to about 40 different people at the same time.
    FP, you'll know who it was as well! [​IMG]

15. Hi I'm an NQT and not having much luck with the application process. I must have sent out about 30 application forms in total and haven't heard so much as a rejection letter back off any school. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've read lots of articles on writing successful application forms and feel that I do as much as I can to meet the requirements of Heads. I always check the school's inspection reports and websites, always read the job description - highlighting the main points and including them in my application form, I write my applications in Arial 12.

Obviously I have less experience than many of the applicants but I received very good grades on my teaching practices and my overall degree classification and always state this in my applications.

Do you have any suggestions that will increase my chances of getting at least an interview as I'm eager to begin my induction period and begin a permanent position.

16. the evil tokoloshe

The best option regardless of the job. When I was looking for positions I went online and even suggested which modules in the curriculum I could lecture in the Universities I sent my CV to. The CV was unchanged but the covering letter was addressed to the Head of Programme (or School, or Faculty depending which they used). I suggested research groups that I could contribute to as well. I scored over 50% of interviews and the others responded that they were not advertising but would keep me on file. Went to the first interview and haven't looked back.
    I now have to go through CVs for a variety of posts (from administrative staff through to Professorial) and generally at least 50% do not meet the minimum requirements. Those that do end up interviewed can be roughly split into 20% having done some research, 80% having no idea and rambling on irrelevantly - makes picking the right person easy if laborious.
    For those looking, do your research, only apply for jobs you meet the requirements of, tailor your application to the job, and even if you are applying to twenty places, a few hours on each in a week devoted to applications is a much better option than the scatter-shot approach.

17. 'the school is closer to where I live'.
    Letter of application, 100% genuine. For an HOD position...
    [​IMG]

18. the evil tokoloshe

'I heve good skill in English langauge with degree in the subject. Also I have fast tiping speed'
    100% genuine as well (didn't bother any further, this was the first line of the letter of application)

19. 'I don't just see the children as pupils that I teach; I see them as my friends'..
    Bin.