1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disastrous Job Applications

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by the hippo, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Golly Jood.
    Now, can we get back to the Mathematics debate and the name calling? Highlight of my day today.

2. Yes, check the new thread called Maths vs maths.

3. On topic...

I have heard of several job applications and/or interviews where the prospective employee has declared that they don't have all the skills needed for the post, because she used to be a manager and had staff doing it for them. So my tip is to not do that.

4. Justify why mathematics is deserving of a capital letter. Review the following;
    The names of languages are always written with a capital letter. Be careful about this; it's a very common mistake.
    Juliet speaks English, French, Italian and Portuguese. I need to work on my Spanish irregular verbs. Among the major languages of India are Hindi, Gujarati and Tamil. These days, few students study Latin and Greek. Note, however, that names of disciplines and school subjects are not capitalized unless they happen to be the names of languages:
    I'm doing A-levels in history, geography and English. Newton made important contributions to physics and mathematics. She is studying French literature. Surely Maths is actually mathematics?

5. Just out of interest FP what subject do you teach? I teach Maths and I capitalise it because it is far and above the most important subject in the curriculum. If you taught Maths I am sure you would realise why I have just made that statement.

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

But you didn't post in Maths, did you? You posted in English (more or less). Without language your Maths is of very limited use. (Yes, I'm familiar with the argument that Maths is a language. It enables you to communicate with other mathematicians. Meanwhile the rest of us inhabit the real world).

7. And if I were in any other place in the world I could communicate with the inhabitants in Mathematics whereas I couldn't in english

8. English is limited to english speaking whereas Maths is multilingual

9. No point having 2 threads on this. Not to mention it offends some on this thread and makes us look unprofessional.

10. How do you say 'You are a ******' in multilingual maths?

11. Is it 1253 678 998 76 5534?
    I know my spelling is poor but is that close?

12. It must be my total inability to recognise when to use a capital letter that has rendered my search for an overseas job a faliure.[​IMG]
    Ho hum- keep trying.

13. Or maybe it's my lack of commas?

14. Well, come on binary boy, what is it? Cat got your abacus?

15. Oh, I thought you meant Charles II was headhunted for the job of King of England, which he was...sort of.

16. I was told it was Charles the I. History, and I mean history, was never my forte...

17. That's 465 7899 78 7 6 5 66 if Rainman is watching.

18. Indeed not. I've just learned that Hippo and I are one and the same and that we worked in Kuwait.
    Apologies to you both I can only claim as another poster so eloquently put it
    at the moment i have my head up my a@#$
    roll on the holidays :)

19. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Leaving aside for a moment the international status of English as a lingua franca, how would you cope with this one: José my next door neighbour doesn't speak English and he never went to school. How would you ask him (mathematically, of course) for his views on immigration from Eastern Europe?