1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disastrous Job Applications

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by the hippo, Mar 16, 2010.

1. You're never to old to learn, relaxed...
    Oh, dear! Why on earth would you do that? Because the parents expect mathematics to be spelt with a capital 'M'? How disgracefully 'pandering' of you.
    Parents can be educated too. [​IMG]

2. You come across as such a sane and normal person Mainwaring did u actually work for Cruella?
    If so the therapy definitely worked, I still twitch when I am any where near Hawally :)

3. hippo/Mainwaring???
    Surely not......the same!

4. FP, I don't pander to any one, I just spell Mathematics with a capital M. Yes I know it is incorrect but I am way too old to learn. [​IMG] I guess everyone will be able to spot me, when I apply for my next job

5. Not necessarily. Could just as well be me!![​IMG]

6. All school subjects are written with CAPITALS. Maths. English. Science. History. Geography et al.
    Anyone who says otherwise is a numpty and a nicompoop (which are two underused words in our lexicon if you ask me.)
    ask yourself..does this look right......
    business studies
    media studies
    child care and development
    davidsoddingbeckham studies
    ican'twritesoimdoingsomesortovthib#ng studies
    SEE.. and here you are, you grauriads (sic) of the intellectual future are arguing over whether MATHS should be spelt with a capital M??? Grow up, my colleagues and stop ficc#ddling while Rome burns

7. Put them in a sentence, Penny! you have written them as....well I don't know how...titles - sub-titles...
    Example: What about 'about yourself'. Small a, small y, yes. Or a piece entitled 'about yourself'. Then we would write 'About Yourself' wouldn't we?
    You have just written six sentences some of them very, very short.
    I'll take your advice on board right away!
    [​IMG]

8. Really? That's very sad. When did you die?

9. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

You're never too old to learn. Sometimes it just takes a bit if humility, same as admitting you're wrong.

10. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Indeed not. I've just learned that Hippo and I are one and the same and that we worked in Kuwait.
    In a formal document such as a CV I always write 'Mathematics' (and every other subject) beginning with a capital letter. Do you really describe yourself as a p.e. teacher, FP? Speaking as as an English teacher I never done nuffink like that cos it don't look right to me.

11. Please read everything, M.
    I'm afraid my heels are digging into the ground on this one. Formal document or otherwise, it's m, not M.

12. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein" title="Albert
    Einstein">[/URL]"As far as
    the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as
    far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
    Albert Einstein
    Perhaps he was referring to the spelling as well? [​IMG]

13. Mainwaring

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. (Emerson)

14. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

He was pretty good at football as well
    His (along with Lake and Palmer) version of Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man" was also pretty good
    What an all rounder he was [​IMG]

15. Mainwaring

My PA in my first headship was a certain Ms Emerson. She was nicely rounded too.

16. Are you referring to me, BFG, and Einstein?
    Tremendous!

17. At one point Emerson, Lake and Powell (r.i.p). Before Cozy took the post, Ian Paice and Simon Philips were asked, allegedly.
    The lengths that people go to, eh?
    What if one of the 'A's left ABBA, eh? They would have had to have looked for a songstress whose name began with A. Like Annie Lennox or something.
    ...right, where were we?

18. When i am emailing with outlook, and I type maths, it tells me I am wrong, I must be looking for math, no way am I looking for math, that word does not exist. When I replace it with Maths, it is happy.
    Yes, you all are right, never to old to learn.

19. Well done relaxed, you have 'come alive' again!
    Please buy a dictionary - they are wonderful things. Somebody wrote 'behooved' the other day. Clueless, I was - I had no idea what it meant. However, I looked in my 'big thick Dic.'.....[​IMG] and not only do I know what it means, it is spelt 'behoved'.
    See, never to old to learn.
    [​IMG]

20. Mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics, mathematics and mathematics...
    Honest, guv!