1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disagree with observation judgement

Discussion in 'Personal' started by captain_picard, Feb 27, 2012.

1. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

Hi,

I've been getting 'good' or 'good with outstanding features' since I began teaching, including a 'good' last year by OFSTED. For the past few months, I 've had a new mentor, and she has given me satisfactory lessons for the past 3 observations. Last week I was observed and got a another grade 3. The thing is, the behaviour of the pupils was fine, pupils produced good quality work, there was a good pace, good subject knowledge, good level of questioning, and she even said the first half of the lesson was 'outstanding', But she said that the work was a little too challenging for Level 7 students. That was the only criticism. I also feel that it's one of the best lessons I've ever taught, much better than last year's 'good' by OFSTED.

Should I voice my opinions? Or contact the union? Or am I stressing about nothing???

2. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

Hi,

I've been getting 'good' or 'good with outstanding features' since I began teaching, including a 'good' last year by OFSTED. For the past few months, I 've had a new mentor, and she has given me satisfactory lessons for the past 3 observations. Last week I was observed and got a another grade 3. The thing is, the behaviour of the pupils was fine, pupils produced good quality work, there was a good pace, good subject knowledge, good level of questioning, and she even said the first half of the lesson was 'outstanding', But she said that the work was a little too challenging for Level 7 students. That was the only criticism. I also feel that it's one of the best lessons I've ever taught, much better than last year's 'good' by OFSTED.

Should I voice my opinions? Or contact the union? Or am I stressing about nothing???

3. Just don't sign the observation form and request you are reobserved (?) by their line manager. Perfectly reasonable request

4. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

My situation is very similar to yours. Only ever had good or outstanding lessons. Ofsted in October and as a school got graded as outstanding. Had an obs about a month ago and got a grade 3. Lots of factors like one off lesson as got a student and also was told that it was not me it was an inadequate lsp. The new framework that Ofsted use now have moved up again so basically what was good before is now likely to be graded as a 3. I would not stress to much about it, I am sure there are lots out there who would lime to be in your position. I am having another obs soon as because we are an outstanding school our SLT state that if you get graded as a 3 you will be done again as that is not acceptable. I have issues with this as we have a teacher profile where we get graded on books, progress and obs and as a subject leader I am always told you gain more from books and progress where a teacher can pull it out of the hat in a lesson where progress and books are a truer reflection. The scenario I have at the moment is a couple of teachers I am mentoring are very different. One will do 9/10 lessons well, good books and outstanding progress but she goes to pieces in obs done by SLT where as another never has books in school progress is ok but she knows exactly which buttons to press for an obs. The teacher who goes to pieces in obs takes her hard and is stressing about it and as much as I tell her not to she does. Hope this makes sense? Has your mentor said anything how getting graded like this will effect anything? If they are saying anything along the lines of not good enough for the school then I would contact union and ask there advice, would not harm. I think you are stressing unnecessarily.

5. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Do you remember the time when we used to concentrate on teaching children and never thought about this silly game playing? So sad, so sad .........

6. bristolmover

bristolmover New commenter

I was confident of doing well a few years ago until I got a new Head of Dept. She decided to observe me for no reason, and I got a 4! I disagreed, took it to SLT and was observed again.
    If you disagree for a specific reason take the criteria and your lesson plan to a meeting, explain your reason and request to be observed again.

7. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I said I didn't agree and was more or less told "tough"
    It takes the wind out of your sails a bit but as someone has already said, OFSTED has now moved up a gear and unless you spend you devote your entire life to planning lessons you've had it!

8. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

One of my colleagues was given a 2 by OfSTED last year. She, with the HT's blessing, challenged it.They didn't change the grade but agreed that she was right to challenge them.
    Funny how, if we challenge SLT, they don't see things the same way!

9. impis

impis New commenter

It makes me cross that they give the impression that 'satisfactory' is not good enough.

If you are satisfactory, you are doing what you are paid to do in a satisfactory manner.

More is a bonus, but you shouldn't be critisised for doing what you're paid to.

I hate observations too. Even though all obs for the last 10 years ahave been good or better, I still harp back to a previous life when a bullying HT labelled me as unsatisfactory. I'm not sure how much they realise how this can affect you - for life!