1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disaffected Teachers

Discussion in 'History' started by dhiller12, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Hello, I havent posted on TES before but I am in somewhat of a desperate state at present. I have been teaching secondary History for 2 years. I did my NQT year in an RE/History post then made the decision to leave this permanent post for a 1 year fixed term contract teaching History full time. There were many reasons for this decision and I know to those on the outside it probably looks very foolish but I am glad I did it as I have improved so much this year as a teacher and I have really enjoyed it. Sadly I have been on 13 interviews in my short career and I have come 'a close second' in 7 of these interviews and I am fed up. I have reached the point where I get no constructive feedback, I get told I did nothing wrong but they went for someone else. I know things are hard out there but I am seriously considering leaving teaching as it all seems a joke to me. I do not know what else I can possibly do to win first prize. I am really just ranting because I am overwhelmed with anger and disappointment. Any thoughts gratefully received.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

In my experience - nearly 30 years and more than 10 schools - if you are doing the 'right' things in your interview lesson, you will get the job when your face fits...Just keep going! (And research each school carefully before an interview - time spent in reconnaissance is never wasted!).

Good luck!

3. Thank you, I was in a rather spectacular strop when I wrote this! I appreciate the advice and I think you are right, must keep going.

4. Yeah. Keep going.

I lost out on a job once because i am certain they wanted a female teacher in an all male department. That's the impression i got. In the interview i said 'i loved sports', and not sure why i said it as i had never said this before, but i then said, 'i play sports 24/7'. The feedback i was given was that they were concerned i would be playing too much sport and leave no time for marking!

I am always told (with regards to the UK) that the interview panel has already pre-selected their prefered candidate, and unless this candidate screws up, they will get the job. In one interview i performed very strongly, and had a great lesson but did not get the job. The other candidates said their lessons were just 'ok' and i am pretty sure i out performed them on the day.

It sounds like you want to keep teaching. So keep going. I felt like you a few years ago, then applied for a job i expected to not even get an interview for (overseas - Middle East). I got an interview and the job. Now i am teaching IB in the Far East and life is good!

5. Thank you, you are right about the gender thing, although as a girl it should be easier for me as most of the interviews I have been to have been predominantly female candidates. Some of the reasons you get for not being chosen are crazy. Glad it worked out for you - fingers crossed for me!