1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disaffected and chatty year 9's

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sommersprossen, Dec 7, 2008.

1. How to keep their (and my) motivation going till the end of next year when plenty are already saying they are going to give up French. Any ideas?

2. I created a series of lessons based on the film Les Choristes. It took 4-6 weeks to get through. Each lesson involved watching a chunk of the film and then there were activities to follow-up, ranging from comprehension activities to creative activities (e.g. write a school report for one of the naughties.

If you are interested, let me know and I'll see if I can locate all the various bits and send them to you. You would just need to buy a copy of the film (HMV?)

I do sympathise - I know what it is like trying to keep them going. In my current school a typical Year 9 class might have a dozen who ARE continuing to GCSE and could really be starting GCSE stuff in Year 9, and the rest who are opting for Spanish or German and who can't quite see why they should keep going in French until the end of the year.

Perennial problem.

3. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

One way we have got around this is to start the GCSE course in Year 9, usually just after the SATS (remember them?) when maths, English, and science subjects start theirs. It is a good motivator for the able kids and shows the disaffected ones that the work really isn't any more difficult, just more interesting!

I also tell students who tell me that they will drop languages at the end of year 9 "I'm glad to hear that. I was trying to find a nice way of telling you that you haven't been chosen to study languages next year." This then erupts into the nice kids asking "have I been picked?" and the others feeling that they have been passed over. It can be quite interesting!

sam

4. Thanks for the film idea and the GCSE early idea - I'll pass it on to my hod.

5. Dear Petite Joyeuse

I am in the same situation as the previous poster (and many others) and have just taken over as HoD in a dept of just me!!!!!!! I therefore have no-one to bounce ideas off.

Would you be so kind as to email me the resources you created for Les Choristes. I would be eternally grateful.

My email is janewestby@yahoo.ie

Many many thanks.

6. I have the same problem (as I'm sure most people do). I was trying to explain how exciting the imperfect tense was and how it would be an additional tense for accessing for those higher levels..... Levels they're not bothered about now they've filled in their options form and had a school report sent home......

....and how many who has posted their address will get an email about enlarging their male member....