1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disadvantaged v non-disadvantaged breakdown 2017 GCSE results?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by TonyM19, Oct 21, 2017.

1. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

Hi

Is there any data available yet that shows how this has worked out nationally? Has the gap closed?

I suspect it hasn't and its being hidden away somewhere, but just wondering if anybody has seen anything yet

Cheers

2. pi r squared

pi r squared New commenter

I'm not sure it is being "hidden away" so much as not published yet. The equivalent data for 2015/16 results were not published until January 2017, which were accessible alongside the huge school performance data download (the one that runs to nearly 400 columns for each school) once published. Presumably, the data for this year will be published in January 2018.

TonyM19 likes this.
  3. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

Thanks for the reply.

Intersting that they can knock out some draft performance tables (our P8 is about 0.2 higher than the published figure) in October, but not this.

Cheers

4. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

On a related topic, are there any provisonal national figures for whole school Grades 4-9 and 5-9 in GCSE English and GCSE Mathematics (separately) available yet or is that wait until January as well

5. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

6. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

look in subject tables, tab S1b
    - Maths is 45% 9-5, 64% 9-4
    - English is 48% and 64%

install and TonyM19 like this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

8. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

Thank you.

9. pi r squared

In Progress 8 terms, 0.2 is a massive number. Your P8 figure is the published figure, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say your P8 is about 0.2 higher? Even taking re-marks into account, you'd need one in every five grades (almost two grades per child!) to increase in order to have your P8 score increase by that amount.

10. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

Yes. My reply wasn't very clear and more out of frustration that they extended the deadline for tables checking to the day after the performance tables were published. Our P8 will be much better than the published figure, not worse, due to a number of factors (small cohort, complete remark of Art & En Lit, still carrying some students with very high KS2 scores who were not on roll - on top of the ones that they knew about). The figures out there now though just when families are making school choices.

11. pi r squared

Ah, I see. Yes, that is somewhat frustrating. I imagine the standard DfE response will essentially be "wait until January" so I'm not sure what recourse you have with that, other than making a loud and clear statement about it on your own school website.

It looks like the handling of performance data was somewhere between problematic and an absolute shambles this year.