1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disable TES auto-filling online forms with my data

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by colpee, Jun 9, 2018.

1. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Dear Admin,
    Going about my normal forum clicking this morning, I click on a link to a TES article from a thread, and whilst scrolling down the page, I find, under "Jobs recommended for you" my personal details including email address auto-filled in a form for a recruitment advertisement with a single "contact me" button.

I don't want my personal details displayed in such a way, and I don't want to have to be careful that an accidental click may send those details to 3rd parties.

How can it be disabled?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Apparently it can't, or at least I can't see any straightforward way of turning it off in any of my user menus.

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I can’t find anything; I was hoping the TES geeks checked out threads on this forum, but perhaps not. Maybe @TES_Rosaline can help

4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I wonder what the new GDPR regulations would have to say about this? If an accidental click could send personal information to third parties, then that doesn't seem like the TES is taking reasonable care with the data.

colpee likes this.
  5. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

GDPR

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisation...egulation-gdpr/consent/what-is-valid-consent/

Can a third party give consent on an individual’s behalf?

The GDPR does not prevent a third party acting on behalf of an individual to indicate their consent. However, you need to be able to demonstrate that the third party has the authority to do so.

Not sure whether it makes any difference if an OP has somehow indicated that they are interested in 'Jobs' ? If so, maybe Tes could claim that the data was being used to support the user's area of interest ?

Notwithstanding the above, there is still the question of why there doesn't appear to be any way to allow the user to 'opt out' - or if there is, it isn't readily apparent:

When is consent invalid?

In summary, you do not have valid consent if any of the following apply:

you have any doubts over whether someone has consented;
    the individual doesn’t realise they have consented;
    you don’t have clear records to demonstrate they consented;
    there was no genuine free choice over whether to opt in;
    the individual would be penalised for refusing consent;
    there is a clear imbalance of power between you and the individual;
    consent was a precondition of a service, but the processing is not necessary for that service;
    the consent was bundled up with other terms and conditions;
    the consent request was vague or unclear;
    you use pre-ticked opt-in boxes or other methods of default consent;
    your organisation was not specifically named;
    you did not tell people about their right to withdraw consent;
    people cannot easily withdraw consent; or
    your purposes or activities have evolved beyond the original consent.

colpee likes this.
  6. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @colpee, please can you send us the URL and a screen grab when this happens again so that we can investigate the issue to TES.Community@tesglobal.com? Thank you.

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Will do thank you

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

9. TES_Rosaline

You're welcome @colpee. Thank you for flagging the issue and sending the email and screen grab. I'll pass these on to the relevant team.

10. TES_Rosaline

Hello @colpee,

I have a response from the Talent Acquisition team: "Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I am sorry that our designs were not clear enough in this instance and gave you cause for concern.

I would like to take this opportunity to reassure you that this is not a third-party advert, it is one of a group of 'Tes Talent Match' panels that we are running across the Tes site, although we can see in this instance that some of the messaging is missing.

The team are currently reviewing the design of that particular right-hand column panel.

Thanks again for flagging this to us - your feedback is essential, so please continue to speak up if there is something you're unsure of on the site."

elder_cat likes this.
  11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

12. TES_Rosaline