1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disability

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by slysmart, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Dear James,
    I am a disable trainee teacher within post compulsory sector, with bilateral hearing impairment. I am having problems coping with feedback from my students. This is very frustrating and have affected my progress.
    Can you advice how I can overcome this hurdle?
    The situation is quite depressing.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Have you had a disability interview at Uni where they assess your needs?
    You could look at getting a dictaphone? I'm sure I got shown one that converts to text? x

3. If you have a registered disability then your provider should make reasonable adjustments for you to enable you to undertake the course. There should be a student adviser for your probgramme and you should have been assessed for your needs and an inetrview carried out to ascertain whatr help it is reasonable to expect. Your provider should then see what financial or other help is available.
    I know of students with profound hearing difficulties who have successfully completed PGCE programmes, so I know that there is help available - it is a question of your provider accessing the rifght funding and help. e.g. technical equipment or even signing support.
    Contact the student advisers and go from there.
    James