1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Disability Discrimination? Help?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by littlelearnersmail, Jul 23, 2017.

  1. littlelearnersmail

    littlelearnersmail New commenter

    Hi all,

    I have several illness that are classed as disabilities. I have just left my school as they were very unhelpful and unsupportive, which led to my conditions getting worse (physical and mental). I was not taken seriously and many people think I should submit a grievance.

    My question is, is it worth doing if I've left the school? I do feel they shouldn't get away with treating someone like this. Also, what should I be saying I want as an outcome? Compensation?

    Thanks in advance!
  2. wanet

    wanet Star commenter

  3. GLsghost

    GLsghost Star commenter

    Thanks wanet , I'd seen it.

    Too many questions in this before any answers can be postulated and I'm otherwise engaged today.

    The questions at least start with:
    1) who says you have multiple disabilities and would s6 EqA 2010 recognise them as such?
    2) when was the last substantial act of alleged discrimination?

    The OP should ask the union.
    Piranha and DYNAMO67 like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    I can't answer the specific questions you've asked, but if you are considering using the school's grievance procedure...

    (1) A governors' Grievance Panel is unlikely to have the authority to award you financial compensation if that is what you are seeking. The usual advice is that employees should exhaust the school's grievance and grievance appeals procedure before pursuing an Employment Tribunal claim. Tribunal is where people usually go if seeking compensation. Your union/solicitor would be able to advise you what's best in your specific circumstances.

    (2) Get a copy of your school's grievance policy/procedures if you can. You need to read this and show it to your union/solicitor so that they can advise you properly. Many school grievance procedures say that you cannot bring a grievance when you have ceased to be an employee. You could argue that as you are an employee until until 31st August you could bring a grievance now, during the summer holidays, if you decided that was a worthwhile thing to do. However that still might not help as your grievance would not be heard until next term and it's common for grievance procedures to say that if an employee's employment ceases before the grievance is finalised the grievance procedure is automatically terminated.​

    Your union/solicitor are really the only people who can tell you whether a grievance is worthwhile. I don't see how anyone here could say one way or the other.

Share This Page