1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Disability and the application form

Discussion in 'Personal' started by linzoid, Feb 5, 2012.

1. I have a disability that means I fall under the DDA. My disability is not noticeable, looking at me you would never know that something is going on inside. I left my last full time teaching position at the end of July last year. Since then, I have been filling out application forms at a rate of about 3-5 a week. So far I have only had 6 interviews. On all of my forms I have told the schools what they need to know about my disability so that reasonable adjustments can be made. The adjustments that I need will not cost a school any money at all. I personally feel that I am not getting invited for an interview because, I have declared my disability. I know that I have sound references! A few years ago I was off work for an extended period of time due to illness. Since going back to work following the long term illness, I have only missed school as a result of Consultant appointments. How do I find out if this is the case?

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I don't think this is the case, I've applied for 100+ jobs and not had an interview (I know others who are also in a similar boat) Just a sign of the times IMO and nothing to do with your disability.Just bneed to look at the Jobseekers forum to see how dire it is.
    Good Luck with future applications! x

3. I know that feeling of 'should I mention it or not' on the forms.What I've always done is kept any information to absolutely the minimal I can get away with. Mine is more health issues. This does not affect my work and I have worked so hard to keep it out of work wherever humanly possible. I have less time off than most and only when I can't humanlly get myself out of bed. No time off this session at all. So I don't feel that they 'need to know' the private details of my health. My advice would be to keep info to a minimum (need to know basis) because it sounds to me like you, yourself have kept it to a minimum in your life. it is marginal to who you are and I see positivity and strength and insight. You don't let it be an issue for you. I do think that the right school will see the positives and spotting the word disability should not - if they are worth their salt - have any effect on their decision.
    I think that they are very much encouraged to have a certain quota of staff who are registered disabled if I am not wrong. There are loads of kids with visible and non visible disabilities so shouldn't there be teachers with disabilities as positive role models.
    So yes I do declare it where I absolutely have to legally but otherwise, it is my business which does not affect anyone else and does not stop me from doing my job. I don't wear it on my shoulderif you know what I mean and it really sounds like you don't either. I really very much hope you get the right post soon - you have a lot to offer.

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I agree. In many public service jobs you are guaranteed an interview if you meet the minimum criteria for the post.

I honestly think the OP needs to review her applications and seek feedback if she can find someone to help.