1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Director of teaching and learning in Science

Discussion in 'Teaching & Learning' started by avonibap, May 13, 2020.

1. avonibap

avonibap New commenter

Hello,

I have been invited for the interview next week (Director of Teaching and learning in Science). The interview will run remotely, online. All I know is that it will include interview panel, student panel and some tasks.
    This is a step up for me careerwise hence I am a bit nervous about the selection process.

Would you, good people, be able to post some tips and advice on interview questions, what they would like to hear from me, tasks they might set and any other tips that might help me to shine though this selection process. Maybe some tips about leadership aspects of this role too.

Thank you for your advice and time responding to my query.

2. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Will there also be a head of science in post? I ask because MrM and I have both worked in places where both posts existed. The HoD did what you would expect while the director of science was an SLT role . Director of science did a few hours of A level.teaching ,chucked about a few grand ideas with no budget to.back them up but had little impact on the department . It was very much a stepping stone to a deputy headship in both cases.

3. avonibap

avonibap New commenter

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Yes the HoD will remain in existence. This is above this but with impact and expertise in science with focus on teaching hence Director of teaching, the role is linemanaged by one of the deputies.