1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Director of IT/Digital Strategy job description

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ictLad, Dec 16, 2016.

1. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

Hi,

I have been asked to write a proposal about why we need a director of IT/digital strategy. I have a number of ideas as to what such a role should encompass (e.g. line managing the IT support team, identifying new technologies which will benefit the school in teaching and learning and in wider areas, the access of data, ensuring the school adhere to guidelines and laws etc). I could however really do with a job description to ensure I am not missing anything obvious. I have had a quick look on TES jobs but there isnt much there at the moment which is of use. Can anyone point me towards a strong job description which might help me identify any key responsibilities I might have missed.

Many thanks in advance

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

When I worked in industry the rule was if you can't instantly come up with 10 responsibilities for a new role then it is probably not needed.

All of the things in your post should already be the responsibility of one at least one of your current SLT team. Dividing these away from them could be politically fraught and not a process I'd like to tackle , but each to their own.

Besides which this is probably the worst day to ask this sort of thing as the more irresponsible members of the forum will have been down the pub and will come back in sending you spurious responsibilities and comedy job titles.

Anyway, good luck with your quest to task a Digital Infrastructure Champion - Educational Division and see you in January.

Could you turn out the lights when you go, ?

Thanks

wanet likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

This is cross-posted on the SLT forum

4. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

There are sufficient SLT members who know enough about IT to justify a forum,... really? ... really?

... I knew he wouldn't turn out the lights !

5. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

Not quite. My SLT post was actually about writing a successful proposal. Though about the same proposal, this post is about the actual roles and responsibilities of Director of IT

6. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

A lot of the roles and responsibilities that should already be in place don't exist. For example. No one has written any acceptable use policies, no one is investigating new tech which may be of benefit to the school and no one is informing the IT support team of medium/long term plans to enable them to plan accordingly. The member of staff who line manages the IT team by his own admission has no clue about technology and on more than one occasion I have been asked to step in to 'fix' a situation with how the technicians were approaching their work.

By putting this post on here I was simy hoping that someone might already be in a similar role which would enable me to see if I had missed anything glaringly obvious which we as a school are not currently doing.

7. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@ictLad - Would training staff to use any new technologies introduced be something you would want to be part of this position? Would it ultimately save the school money if IT training could be mostly managed in-house?

8. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

Online safety (big one!)
    Website updates
    Social media profile (if your school wants to go down that route)
    Cross-departmental use of ICT (even if it's just having a decent booking form that people can use)

9. wanet

wanet Star commenter

For me the biggest issue was getting staff to see that techology purchases should be to solve issues and that idententifying the issues must come before looking for solutions and possibly purchasing technology. Too often shiny new kit is purchased, then a use is looked for. Often this appears as "we have just bought some iPads, can you recommend apps for them".

I recall from some time ago asking staff to bid for some teacher laptops. Expecting educational reasons as I asked for these, but only got things like - everyone else in the dept. has one, I have a TLR so I should have one etc.