1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Directly Approaching Schools For Jobs

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jnrs, Feb 21, 2011.

1. I am currently working with pre-school children in a private day nursery. I have been there for 3 years and would really like to gain classroom experience working with nursery / reception classes.
    I am in my 30's and started working with children about 5 years ago. During this time I have gained an NVQ in childcare and I am currently studying a Childhood Studies degree. My ultimate goal is to be an Early Years teacher which is why I would like to experience 'school life' as opposed to childcare.

I feel I am ready for a change of role and I am constantly looking for TA jobs for this age group. I have thought about writing to schools direct to see if I could be considered for any possible roles but not sure how to go about it.
    Any tips / advice would be gratefully appreciated?
    Many thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Have you considered doing some voluntary work?
    Usually any TA opening would be advertised but if you were already a 'known face' in a school it might be a help. It isn't always the internal candidate, who gets the job, so not a surefire winner, but worth a try.