1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Directed time - subject leadership

Discussion in 'Primary' started by love_to_read, Feb 15, 2020.

1. love_to_read

love_to_read New commenter

Hello, I wondered if anyone could shed some light on whether this is normal/healthy/usual practice in other primary schools - I'm an experienced teacher and have recently moved to an RI school (I had a beautifully naive vision that I would be able to help them improve). We've recently been told by SLT that on a Monday after school we have to be spending time on our Subject leadership role and they do walk around the school to check this. We've also been told that we have to run a lunchtime / after school club. In addition, we have a weekly staff meeting (obviously) and a Friday morning briefing before school starts. All of this is beginning to feel a bit too directed. Thoughts?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Monday: Spend time on subject leadership, at home in front of the telly!
    Tuesday: Run a colouring club for KS1...they love it and sit colouring quietly while you get on with marking, planning, etc
    Wednesday: Staff metting
    Thursday: Run a construction club for EYFS...they love it and get on with playing with duplo, mobilo, trainsets, etc while you get on with planning, marking, etc
    Friday: Briefing in the morning and leave early to get off home.

Two clubs a week and no extra work for you.
    Sorted!

3. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

That's not normal, usual or healthy practice. One session per week should be all, usually a staff meeting though it can be for other purposes such as leadership time. You do not have to run clubs in your lunchtime (the clue is in the your and time). That's the way it is in state schools anyway.

Are you in an academy that writes its own staff contracts? Which union are you in? How do your colleagues feel/cope?

Best wishes.

4. love_to_read

Thanks for your reply! I know how to arrange these tasks so they have minimum impact, just wanted to see if the expectation was standard for other teachers in primary schools.

5. love_to_read

Thanks for this, think I will check with my union. We’re not in an Academy, but have a very demanding Head. Not sure I’m going to stay, too much pressure. I agree “your” time are the key words here!

6. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Just ask for a copy of your directed time. If these items are in it, you have to do them when stated. If not, you'll still need to do then but will need to discuss when with your HT.

7. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

I know one school where all non-NQT teachers were expected to run a club either at lunchtime or after school. I think that it was written into job descriptions.
    In terms of subject leadership time, like soooexcited, I was wondering whether it was specified in the directed time allocation. I'm not sure that SLT can just randomly introduce a change like that otherwise - I mean unless the school specifies that you have to stay there until a certain time everyday, surely teachers have discretion about where they work outside the core teaching hours, directed time or other timetabled and specified events?

8. WB

WB Occasional commenter

The school should have a directed time policy which shows how all of the 1265 hours have been allocated. Ask to see that.

Schools do not have the power of God over you ; they have to stick to employment and the school teachers pay and conditions document.

Some head teachers believe that employment is more of a sometimes yes, sometines no sort of a thing - they are wrong. Standing up.to them can be a high risk option though!