1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Directed time question

Discussion in 'Independent' started by EBC, Jan 24, 2020.

1. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Hi,

Can you explain what directed time is, and how I can work it out?

Lots of talk about this, but I'm unclear.

T

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

For teachers in state schools who are working on STPCD conditions "directed time" is the annual limit on the amount of time your headteacher can "direct" you what to do. In practice it's equivalent to the maximum time you can be required to be in school. The "directed time" limit is 1265 hours a year during 195 days.

Formal definition are in paragraph 51 of STPCD particularly paras 51.2 and 51.5

But note, it isn't a limit on maximum working time. All the work teachers do at home, weekends, holidays etc is additional to the "directed time" limit.

But the directed time rules are only mandatory in Local Authority Maintained school. The law does not require them in any other type of schools. Other schools can adopt the directed time rules and include them in their employment contracts if they choose to. Most academies do still follow the 1265 hours rule. I don't know about private schools but from what I hear not many do.

3. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

OK thank you. So can you advise, I'm new to all this, if I need to find out what directed time I currently have, what is my next step to work it out/find out?

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Only your school can tell you, there isn't some big national database that records it all.

But the first thing is to find out if your school has any directed time rules. You've posted in the 'Independent' forum which suggests you work in a private school. If so your school might not use STPCD directed time rules.

Maybe start by discussing it with your school union rep?

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

How many hours a week are you directed in an activity?
    Teaching, assembly, duties, etc.
    Add those up and multiply by the number of weeks.
    Then add in one off bits such as parents evenings, open days/evenings and the like.
    Then you have your year's directed time.

However, you are in an independent school, so your directed time can be whatever your head directs it to be.
    Ours is 8-6 Monday - Friday and three Saturday's a year.
    On the understanding that no one will enforce staying until 6 unless it is a duty evening, but that later that 6 may happen for parents' evenings, concerts and the like.
    Way over the 1265 hours in STPCD, but much nicer hours so hey ho!