1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Directed time...on days you don't work?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by vikingmaid, Feb 15, 2011.

1. I'm P/T and have a number of parent's evenings all arranged on my absent p/t day. As this will take extra travel (60 miles) and additional child care can I be directed to work on these days?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

My feeling is that for a pro rata number of them you can.... So for example if you work a 50% contract, you could be asked to attend 50% of parents evenings.... I think this is how p/t folk in my school manage it.

3. The short answer is No. You cannot be made to attend meetings or consultations etc on days you don't work.
    You can be asked, but you don't have to say yes. If you do attend, then you should be expected to be paid for your time.

4. I was under the impression that you cannot be 'required' to work on the days you are not employed to, not least because you may have another p/t job elsewhere, but that you can be asked to. This would mean negotiating 'over-time' or time in lieu.
    I work 4 days (0.8) and sometimes INSET, parents' evenings etc. fall on my day at home (when I look after my baby). For INSET I have paid for my baby to be with a childminder/an extra day in nursery (different babies at different times) but haven't been able to arrange childcare for parents' evenings. My husband is also a teacher and we find that primary parents' evenings often coincide with secondary concerts/options evenings etc. which is a pain when many of our local friends are teachers too. I fit as many parents as possible into one parents' evening and suggest others see the teacher who teaches the class on my day off. If they are desperate to see me then we do so some other time.

5. coppull

coppull New commenter

If you do attend you should also claim your travel expenses. Most likely at 40 pence per mile. Still a large number of teaching staff do not bother claiming,even with fuel costs being 130p per litre. Some staff have money to burn .[​IMG]

6. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Staff who work on the day of a Parents evening, and go home between the end of the school day and the meetings, should indeed claim for the second return journey to work. Those who stay at school should claim subsistence for a meal if the school do not provide a a buffet,as my last school used to. They asked for numbers requiring a buffet meal and those who preferred to nip out to the local McDsubmitted a receipt instead.
    If a p/t teacher agrees to come in on a non-work day (and they can refuse) they should get the full supply hourly rate (annual salary divided by 975) and would not then claim their travel costs as getting to your place of work and back home for the first time in any day is the responsibility of the paid worker.

7. They can indeed claim.
    They might not get either the travel or the subsistence. It would depend on the individual school's policy on such matters.