1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Directed Time Help

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pencho, Sep 7, 2011.

1. pencho

pencho New commenter

Hi all
    I know this is a pay and conditions query, but I know there are some very knowledgeable people on here and just wanted some quick advice
    In terms of directed time
    (a) Is a mid morning break necessary. If it is given then is this directed time?
    (b) Time between afterschool and meeting starting is this directed time? similarly with parents' evening.
    (c) Start and end of school? Is any of this directed time
    Anybody know where I can get further guidance, doesn;t seem to be much in the teachers pay and conditions document.

2. DM

DM New commenter

I'm not a proper expert on this but I know some of the answers.
    You can be directed during your morning break as you will not have worked for more than the statutory maximum number of hours in a row. Break duties are directed - lunch duties are not and must attract additional pay if offered.
    Time between the end of school and a meeting starting becomes "trapped" if there isn't sufficient time for you to go home and then come back again.
    Your school will have prepared their annual hours budget. Ask for a copy and you will see exactly how the 1265 hours (max) were allocated.

3. Trapped time is most often overlooked
    Consider the maximum of one mtg per week of one hour.
    At my [ex] school, mtgs were scheduled for 3.45, 25 mins after end of day.
    This 25 mins constituted trapped time - and this counts towards the 1265
    Some took this to mean that an hour's mtg included the 25 mins and walked out after 35 mins - not correct actually but they were never picked up on it, at least obviously although I am sure cards were marked.
    In actual fact, I am sure our calendar was about 1170 hours, well within the max - but god knows how many pointless, agendaless, non-minuted 'meetings' [think lecture, really] we had to endure - they could have sent us a memo and we could have ignored it!