1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Directed time - and time outside of the taught day.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by bedingfield, Nov 2, 2011.

1. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

We have just been given a calculation of directed time for this year and before I see my school union rep I just want to see if people can clarify a couple of things.
    The time for the working day has been put down as 5hrs and 30 mins. However it is not taking into account the fact that, according to the staff handbook, we should be in school 15mins before the children and 15 minutes after home time. Is this time that we are expected to be in school classed as directed time? If so then that adds another 95 hours on to directed time over the 190 days of the school year and would take directed time over the maximum.
    Also Afterschool Clubs have suddenly appeared as directed time. Although no has asked or insisted anyone yet does them, I was of the understanding that they were voluntary. I usually get involved with the choir after school in the lead up to Christmas and the year 6 leavers concert in the summer, so I am not against this, but I do feel that it is up to each teacher whether they want to (or can) commit to a club.
    I would appreciate it if anyone can offer advice on this.

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

It may be that they are still voluntary, but just included in the budget. The directed time budget should cover everything, in a year you may not use all those directed hours, but better that they are factored in just in case.
    Have you remembered that your lunchbreak is not directed time when working out the 5.5hrs?

3. bedingfield

Yes I have taken that from the calculation but included my break into it. It outlines the school day as 8.50 - until 3.25 and a 55 minute lunch so 5.5 hours. However as I mentioned, we are expected to be at at school 15 minutes before and after these times, which is another 30 minutes, but this is not on the directed time calculation. I am wondering whether it should be.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Yes, it should be.
    If your Head is directing you to be in school, then it is directed time.

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

*waves at trinity* Hello [​IMG]

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Those times before and after sessions most definitely ARE directed time. Your first step would be to point this out to your head who can then think again. Perhaps suggest your head meet with a union official who can explain the
    directed time regulations to them - in terms of the STPCD they are
    uniquely clear on the time limits. If this does not go well you could possibly make a point of leaving school when the clubs take place and suggest to your head they try and take out a disciplinary with you - if this looks likely write down everythnig said or done, formally or informally. If your head is merely stupid they will either back off or fight on stubbornly, and lose. if they are malicious they will do the same but bear a grudge about having to back down and may try to pick off the weaker members of staff.If this was a good head this situation would not have arisen.
    Your union officials will back you up, involve them. They can always call a trade dispute if management is intransigent.

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Mexican waves one way to trinity, t'other way to TK.....

8. bedingfield

Thank you for your replies. Your answers have helped me to confirm my own understanding of directed time.
    I am not one to 'rock the boat' but there are a large number of staff who go above and beyond what is expected of them and this calculation of directed time does not reflect the goodwill that many show to the school. I can't say too much because it could identify the school, but there are things happening here that are affecting staff moral and this sort of document does nothing to boost it. Especially if the HT is going to start demanding that all staff run a club.

9. If the head has included provision for a club within the yearly directed time budget, and that budget does not exceed 1265 hours, then staff have to do it, look on the bright side, it's an hour less meeting time, I know which one I'd prefer, it ain't a meeting and I'm a head!!!!!!!

10. bedingfield

That's the issue. My calculations estimate that we are over by about 35 hours with directed time if after school clubs are included and still over by about 18 hours if there is no after school club included in directed time.
    I am going to point this out to my school union rep next week.