1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Directed Time and meetings

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by chorsubazaar, Mar 5, 2016.

1. chorsubazaar

chorsubazaar New commenter

Hi - new poster with a question about directed time.
    I have just started as head of faculty at a new school. Previously I was head of department at a smaller school. Both schools follow STPCD.
    At my old school, all meetings any member of staff (excluding SLT) was required to attend was included within directed time. Those of us who had extra middle leader meetings were close to the 1265 hours limit, but not over it.
    At my new school, it appears that only meetings that ALL staff need to attend are included. Eg staff meetings, department meetings, tutor team etc. However those of us with promoted roles (so including all heads of dept, faculty and heads of year) also have additional monthly after school middle leader meetings to go to.
    Turns out these are not included within directed time, but are considered to be part of our role as middle leaders. By my reckoning, this puts us over 1265 hours.
    Also not included are things like induction meetings for new staff (I have escaped these being a mid year starter as they only run in the Autumn). Had I also had to go to these then I would have been considerably over 1265 hours.
    So my question is, was I just lucky at my old school that all these were included? Or do my new school seem to have got it wrong?

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Directed time applies regardless of whether you are on M1, UPS3 or have a TLR.

Only when you are on the leadership scale does 1265 not apply.

3. chorsubazaar

Compassman, thank you for your reply. So my old school was doing it correctly, and my new school isn't.
    Do you have any reference document that supports this? As I say, I couldn't see any particular mention of it in STPCD.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Where is your directed time budget?

I was in the NAS. I was the rep. I just pointed the HT to the following. Can't find it in the STPCD but then neither can the HT find anything to counter my view of things!

Time budget and calendars
    Every individual teacher not paid on the leadership spine should have a time budget that details how the 1,265 hours of time specified in the contract for reasonable direction by the headteacher will be allocated. Once published, this should not be changed unless there are exceptional circumstances and then only in consultation with the teacher.

School sessions, in the 195 days when teachers are required to be available for work, will account for a significant proportion of the directed hours.

A calendar of meetings for the academic year should be published in advance of the start of the academic year. The days of the week on which meetings will be held at the end of school sessions should be identified so that teachers can plan their personal activities. This is also critical for teachers with carer responsibilities. Once published, the days identified should not be changed unless there are exceptional circumstances and then only in consultation with the teacher.

NASUWT Representatives and members should ensure that consultation on the annual calendar and time budget includes the so-called ‘buffer time’ at the start and end of the school day. If this is directed, it is included in the time budget.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As @Compassman has directed (thinking of compass direction, rather than bossing!)

Best wishes

6. chorsubazaar

many thanks for replies...now to try and solve the problem. I'm amazed no-one else in my school has pointed this out to the head before!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

NASUWT has it here. The STPCD has it in section 53. Slightly vaguer wording, but it says that:

53.5. A teacher employed full-time must be available to perform such duties at such times and such places as may be specified by the headteacher (or, where the teacher is not assigned to any one school, by the employer or the headteacher of any school in which the teacher may be required to work) for 1265 hours, those hours to be allocated reasonably throughout those days in the school year on which the teacher is required to be available for work.

53.4. The provisions of paragraphs 53.2 to 53.12 do not apply to: a) headteachers, deputy headteachers, assistant headteachers, teachers on the pay range for leading practitioners or teachers in receipt of an acting (19) O.J. No L307, 13.12.93 p.18 which was implemented by the Working Time Regulations 1998 (S.I. 1998/1833). 52 allowance for carrying out the duties of a headteacher, deputy headteacher or assistant headteacher pursuant to paragraph 23;

In other words, 1265 applies to HoD, HoY, HoF and all other middle managers.

Best wishes

8. chorsubazaar

many thanks Theo, I think it was the vagueness of the wording that made me want to check!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(the missing thumbs-up emoticon)