1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Directed time and contract question

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by RamC, Nov 28, 2011.

1. RamC

RamC New commenter

Hello all, I just received my contact, (I'm an NQT who started in Sep), and, despite trying my best, I cannot work out the hours of work. It states: You are employed to work full time based on 27.5 hours.... Now I know it's in the statutory pay and conditions document that we are available for 1265 hours of directed time over 195 days. We are a special school so the hours are slightly shorter, (9-3.15 for the students), and we have 2 hours of directed time for meetings etc twice a week. But it still doesn't work out! Thanks for your help.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Contact HR and ask them to explain the 27.5 hours.
    It lloks to me as though 27.5 hours quals the pupil day, minus 1 hr for lunch (unpaid) , plus being available for 15 minutes before the pupil start time each day.
    That's not how teachers' Directed Time is entirely made up however, so you should challenge the 27.5 hours quoted.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Average Directed Time hours for a full-timer would be almost 32.5 hours per week for 39 weeks, but obviously some weeks will be longer than that and some shorter in terms of where you have to be and what you should be doing in that Directed Time.
    Any other work needed to fulfill your duties can be done when and where you like.