1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Direct Teacher Recruitment

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Nature_geek, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Nature_geek

Nature_geek New commenter

Hi,

I am from Ireland, almost finished my teacher training and I want to move to UK. I am wondering has anyone ever used or heard of the company Direct Teacher Recruitment? This is their website http://www.directtrs.com/

I would like to know if they are good and is there any hidden costs.

Thanks!

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

They are an agency. Beware. There are cases of agencies suckering international teachers over here with the promise of jobs that never materialise.

If schools want/need to recruit, they prefer to appoint directly. Agencies demand a lot of money in return for a teacher they have placed. This bunch say they deal with direct contracts - but websites can say anything!

You don't specify whether you are primary or secondary, or where you think you want to move to. I suspect you would be better off conducting a job search, rather than contacting an agency.

3. Nature_geek

Hi Thanks for your reply.

I am a secondary school geogrpahy teacher. I want to move to the southwest (cornwal/bristol) area as I have family there.

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I know the South West.

There are not many jobs in the area - people tend to get a post and stay. You could try supply, but it's not a financially stable option.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nobody will be able to give you any comments on this agency, as it is contrary to the Terms & Conditions of the website to do so. We mustn't say things about any individual school, agency, education institution or individual, you see.

But I agree entirely with CW's comments above.

1) The SW is a difficult area for appointments in general, although Bristol will be better.

2) It is best to apply directly to schools, stating that you saw the advert on TES, rather than going via an agency. You see, the agency will charge a hefty finder's fee (several thousand pounds quite often). So if a school has to choose between two equally good candidates, one who is free and one who isn't . . .

N.B. Do ensure that you gain QTS to qualify you to teach in a maintained school in E&W.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/qualified-teacher-status-qts

Good luck!

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I'm sure you are aware that you can use the teaching you do in the UK to assist with your full registration with the Irish Teaching Council. Once you leave your course you are provisionally registered with them and need to complete 300 hours teaching to gain fuller status. If you follow a similar NQT induction scheme to other NQTs then you can complete the registration process- if you need further info start a conversation with me.
    Geography is a subject in demand very much in the London area- the south west has traditionally been a more difficult area to gain employment but with the increase in the E Bac then geography/ general humanities opportunities could increase.

7. Nature_geek

Thank you for all your help!!

I wouldn't really like to live or work London which I know is unfortunate. I wasn't aware of the difficulties finding work in the Stouth West. I hope that I can find something!

8. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I suggest you look specifically for jobs. Don't make the mistake of moving in the hope of getting supply and that something will turn up. The SW is expensive - you may find you're barely covering costs.