1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dipping my toe in to supply....

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Northernlady, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Northernlady

Northernlady New commenter

My reasons for trying out supply are that I have 4 children and would like to have the benefit of a work-life balance and therefore avoid marking for a while. I can be flexible on my childcare as I live near family who are wonderful and will help me out.
    I have looked through the sticky posts but I have a few questions I hope someone in the know can answer for me:
    My ideal post is 2 - 3 days a week supply at the school I left last year.
    They are now an academy...so will they expect me to go through their agency or can I do freelance supply to them?
    If I do freelance supply to them do I need to be self employed?
    I was on UPS1 so what can I expect as a daily rate?
    Do schools ever offer a '0' hours contract? Is this worth pursuing?
    Do I just call up my headteacher and have a chat with them? If so, What else should I be aware of before I go for the chat?
    Thanks for any answers.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

For me this would seem o be your first port of call.
    Yes I have had a 'vague' arrangement' of 0 hours i e not a contract, at a particular school, but it certainly never equated to 2-3 days a week. That was in a Middle School and it wasn't exactly 'regular' unless a member of staff was ill and then it might be a week and then perhaps nothing for a coupe of weeks.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

errrrr....I think you misunderstand what supply teaching is really like.

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Northernlady

Yes I probably do. I'm just thinking it all through and gathering information at the moment. I haven't had done supply since 2011 when I moved areas. I had a regular one day a week and then some random days and a paternity leave. I only did it for 3 months and then had found myself a full time position. Thanks.

agathamorse, gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  5. Northernlady

Thanks for the info and the support to just give my head a call. That is helpful, I appreciate it.

6. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

If you are mobile, then join some agencies 4 - 6.
    Make sure though, that they pay via PAYE, if they only offer umbrella, tell them to boil head.
    No, you cannot be self employed for supply, IR35 rules.
    If you are only going to do 1 school, get them to put you on their payroll.

I did supply for 10 years, it suited
    I worked in around 40 schools in radius from where I live,

7. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

Your daily rate is as much as you can get
    The daily rate you will be offered will be as little as they think they can getbawaybwith!

8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Agree with the above posts but don't necessarily be put off supply before trying it, especially if you can persuade the Cover Organiser at your old school to pick up the phone and ring you rather than a more expensive agency. However this highly-stressed individual will likely chose the simplest option which won't be you.

However this assumes you can get on the payroll which will be a day-by-day basis (or zero hours if you prefer). This should be easy for the HR to organise but appears to be beyond the skill set of any I've met!

Failing the above sign up with a few agencies but salary is largely down to negotiation and that will depend on how much it's @Northernlady or nobody.

Good luck and all the best.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Northernlady

Thank you very much for all your comments; just the info I needed to get going on working it out and seeing if I can make it happen...you never know. These posts have given me the confidence I need to have a go; much a appreciated.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You will make it - just one step at a time.

Welcome to the forum.

You will enjoy the flexibility supply brings and having more time with your children.

11. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

They are now an academy...so will they expect me to go through their agency or can I do freelance supply to them?
    If I do freelance supply to them do I need to be self employed?

I've worked for a number of academies ( through agencies) and was a little hesitant at first, but from experience can say there was no real difference to other schools? AGAIN it depends on the particular school, staff, SLT and any number of factors.

Northernlady likes this.
  12. Northernlady

Thank you very much :)

13. Northernlady

Good info. It seems that everything may or may not be possible! Thanks very much.