1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Diplomatic immunity should be ended

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

What the hell is it about in the first place? This woman, the wife of not even a real diplomat, kills a youth whilst driving on the wrong side of the road, lies to the Police and scuttles back to the US, where she faces no charges at all.

The chances of a Trump govt sending her back are miniscule, esp as they're both Republicans.

The rank injustice of it is infuriating. I hope the lad's parents are better people than I am.

WB, vannie, jellycowfish and 4 others like this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Diplomatic immunity should be ended? Careful what you wish for in case it comes true. British staff serving in many countries would not thank you for having their diplomatic immunity taken away.

nizebaby, phlogiston, colpee and 5 others like this.
  3. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Agree totally. Diplomatic immunity should not apply to family members, and should not apply at all where there is clear evidence of a crime.

hamcguin, emerald52, Laphroig and 2 others like this.
  4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

5. Rott Weiler

So in countries where there are crimes like "insulting the honour of the President" you'd be happy for our Embassy staff to be imprisoned for criticising the government there? Ditto for speaking out against local human rights abuses? Is that really what you want to happen?

needabreak and nomad like this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Why should diplomats get away with acts that would be considered crimes in their own country just because they are in another? That doesn't apply to normal citizens.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Diplomatic immunity exists to protect diplomats from the tyrannically minded governments. Yes there is a discussion to be had about the extent of it and what happens when a crime occurs. But diplomats should be protected in case a government decides to prosecute the ambassador for the perceived sins of his country.

Dragonlady30 and Laphroig like this.
  8. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I take your point, @Rott Weiler , but it is not the role of a diplomat to criticise the government, laws and customs of his or her host country. They are there to represent and protect the interests and the nationals of the country that they are from.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  9. Rott Weiler

They do that - that's the embassy's Consular services - but isn't the Ambassador's primary role. Their principal role is to represent the UK, promote our interests and convey the policies of the UK government (and vice versa) and be the main channel of communication between the two countries. That may well, and often does, require the Ambassador to convey the views of the UK government that the host country does not like.

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Normal citizens can choose not to visit countries where homosexuality, apostosy, abortion or blasphemy is illegal but diplomats are expected to serve wherever they are posted. Hence the reason for the Vienna Convention.

I think the real issue here is why the USA rarely if ever waives immunity in such clear cases as this.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Dragonlady30 and Rott Weiler like this.
  11. Aquamarina1234

Grrrrrrrrrrr!

12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If she doesn't return, we should pick on her boss (e.g. the Ambassador) and expel him. It's his responsibility that she honours her promise (to stay) and doesn't abuse the necessary system of Diplomatic immunity...

13. florian gassmann

Anna Sacoolas doesn't work for the American ambassador: he's not her boss.

14. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Diplomatic immunity or no diplomatic immunity, if she’s innocent as she now appears to be claiming, then come back and stand trial.
    If I was innocent, I would waive my right to diplomatic immunity in order to clear my name...unless of course, she isn’t innocent?

15. florian gassmann

She admitted to the police she was in the wrong before leaving the UK according to press reports. The Northants Chief Constable said they could have arrested her but did not because they knew they could not legally keep her in custody after she claimed diplomatic immunity.

16. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Yes, but when it became clear she might face criminal charges, she no longer appeared to want to comply.
    However, if that were me and I had made a genuine mistake which resulted in the loss of a young man’s life, I would want his family to know I was sorry. If I had done so through a momentary lapse in judgement for example, I would want to be honest about that and safeguard my own reputation.
    Anyone can make a mistake. It’s a risk we all take when we choose to drive. As long as she wasn’t doing anything illegal, like drinking or using a phone etc, etc, what does she have to fear? She probably won’t receive a custodial sentence - unless she was doing something wrong?

17. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I thought Diplomats were chauffeured in huge posh cars with flags on, my how things have changed.

18. Aquamarina1234

She was on the wrong side of the road!

19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

In those circumstances would you be quite happy to go to the USA to face investigation? Frequently people resist extradition to the USA.

needabreak likes this.
  20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

They probably need to bring back the chauffeurs. I guess it isn't surprising that a driver who frequently drives in the US and UK might drift to the wrong side of the road or indeed forget where they are driving, perhaps that is why they used to have drivers... that and jet lag.

Edit - I am not making excuses for her, just recognising that there are likely many factors and as in most cases in the media we aren't party to all the information... nor should we be, we are bystanders not unlike those who stop to take photos and comment on social media about car crashes by the side of the road that they slowed down to gawp at.