1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Diploma not degree

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Wannabsupawoman, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Wannabsupawoman

Wannabsupawoman New commenter

Hi all,

This is a new one on me but I’m having major issues at the moment with my application for a Chinese Work Visa.
    I hold a Graduate Diploma and not a bachelors degree. I have had confirmation from 3 sources, including the head of the university I studied with and a U.K. Quality Assurance Agency that my diploma is the equivalent of a bachelors degree but it seems that this is still not good enough for the Chinese Authorities.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can do to convince the Chinese work bureau to give me a work visa?

I have taugh in the U.K. and internationally for 19 years (including 2 years in China) and have never had an issue like this before.

Thanks

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

not sure if this will work, but have you thought about getting an equivalency certificate from the US? just google it

Wannabsupawoman likes this.
  3. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

We occasionally get this type of issue. What’s usually happens is I write a personal letter in my professional capacity as the university course leader setting out the specifics. The overseas institutions tend to accept that.

4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

It has to be 3 years full time study degree to qualify for a visa, 2 years is not sufficient.

5. Wannabsupawoman

Thank you Dumbbells and Mr Media.
    I've had a letter from the Head of my old Uni which states very clearly that I hold the equivalent of a Bachelors. It seems that the Chinese authorities won't accept it, unless it's backed up by another letter of similar wording, provided by the UK Gov!
    I'm investigating UK agencies that oversee standards of university degrees to see if they can write, again, that I hold a recognized qualification, equatable to a Bachelors.

I have looked at the possibility of converting my diploma to a Bachelors....it may be a last resort...
    Thanks again for your suggestions!

6. Wannabsupawoman

I did a 3 year course. so is a degree.

7. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Occasional commenter

I'm afraid I'm confused by this. If it's the equivalent of a degree, why do you need to convert it into one?
    Is it the same as an Ordindary, i.e. non-Honours degree?

8. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Equivalency is decided by the institution. You can choose, or not, to recognise another institution's qualification. Accredited Prior Learning (APL) is the usual term.
    It might be you need to go to the Open Uni, ask them to accept your prior learning, do some kind of dissertation and be awarded an honours degree.

9. Wannabsupawoman

It seems that, by UK standards, a Graduate Diploma and Bachelors Degree are deemed as being at the same level of study.
    My Diploma is the equivalent of a degree but called a Diploma. It's with Honours too.

10. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

It depends on the country, uni and to an extent the subject you did it in. Any clues?

11. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

I always understood UK Education as follows: GCSE A*-C is level 2, A Levels are level 3. In Higher Education, a Certificate in HE is level 4, a Diploma in HE is level 5 and a Degree in HE is level 6...(the latter being the requirement for the Chinese Z visa).

12. sparklesparkle

Those of us who worked hard for our degrees know that a diploma isn't 'equivalent'.

13. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I am sorry to say according to the Chinese Visa regulations, you need a "Degree" minimum Bachelor of Arts. This degree has to be issued in a native English speaking country, South Africa or the Philippines(as of this month).

The Chinese over the last couple of years have increased the visa requirements to stop the country been flooded with cheap labour.

It would not surprise me that in the next couple of years a teaching qualification will also be required for all teachers. All teachers would require QTS from an Native English speaking country.

China has 1000000 graduates that can do many of the jobs currently carried out by foreigners. China does put China and Chinese people first.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  14. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Having done an HND and a a degree I can tell you that the HND was far harder and far more work than the degree.

15. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

Quite agree Helen, same was true of BTEC and A levels in many subjects. But tell that to employers. Much of the farcical changes to the UK examinations system in the last 30 or so years has been caused because employers didn't understand what was going on and would not accept the new quals without some sort of easy conversion chart!

16. Wannabsupawoman

So my Graduate Diploma is at level 6. Therefore, equivalent of a degree. It certainly has not held me back before and enabled me to gain a PGCE and QTS 19 years ago.

Attached Files:

17. Wannabsupawoman

Btw, it’s a music diploma from London, UK

18. sparklesparkle

I don't understand what wider point you want to make out of the fact that your HND was harder than your degree.
    It depends on the subject, the ability of the student and whether your school gave you adequate prior knowledge.
    It's of no relevance that a student thinks their diploma course is hard. It simply isn't equivalent to a degree from a good university.

19. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

@Wannabsupawoman a colleague had a similar problem with this - and unfortunately the Chinese authorities will not be flexible with it. They were able to get a one year contract at the school where their partner worked, and start the process of conversion to a full degree, but they can't get a longer contract until that's done (and I'm not quite sure how the school got round the Z visa process.)

20. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

It's similar to the problem South Africans have with getting the Z visa - they are not, in the eyes of the Chinese government, native English speakers!