1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dinosaurs in year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by crazycatlady101, Jan 20, 2011.

1. I teach group 1 literacy (bottom group) in Year 1. 20 out of 30 of the children are still working below Level 1.
    My next unit of work is Information Texts and as the group is boy heavy I would like to focus on dinosaurs. Do you think this is too hard a topic for low ability children to be reading and writing about. I know they won't be able to read the word "dinosaur", but I could make an information book along the lines of..."A leaf is nice to eat" etc.
    Last year I did "Pet" books and the kids seemed to be bored.
    What do you think?

2. I teach group 1 literacy (bottom group) in Year 1. 20 out of 30 of the children are still working below Level 1.
    My next unit of work is Information Texts and as the group is boy heavy I would like to focus on dinosaurs. Do you think this is too hard a topic for low ability children to be reading and writing about. I know they won't be able to read the word "dinosaur", but I could make an information book along the lines of..."A leaf is nice to eat" etc.
    Last year I did "Pet" books and the kids seemed to be bored.
    What do you think?

3. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

totally pointless...I would be getting them to read and write key word sentences with YR 45 High Frequency words..the context is absolutely pointless if children havent got the basic mechanics to form letters and read key/CVC words

4. I think you'll find that most boys of that age LOVE Dinosaurs so I'd go for it. In fact, the mixed reception and year 1 class at my school had "Dinosaurs" as their very first topic in September and it proved pretty popular. As a former supply teacher who could never read all the dinosaur names in the Harry and the Dinosaur books I can confirm that most five year old's can manage that too!

5. I'm debhating wether to use dinosaurs or castles as the next topic for my lowish ability-boy heavy year 1 class. I really think that giving them an topic that they're interested in motivates them to write and so gives better quality work.
    I would just make sure to give them lots of word mats with words and pictures to help their spelling.

6. Nothing like an exciting lesson to get the children engaged in learning - where's the motivation in that I ask???

7. Thanks guys. I'm torn between dinosaurs and toys (which is our history topic at the mo). I figure I can get more HFW in a toy topic - I like... I play with... My mum had... etc. Need to look at range of resources I think before I decide.