1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dinosaur cooking

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Wotworklifebalance, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Hello lovely people whose ideas and generosity never cease to amaze me. Have I grovelled enough?
    My Yr R - 2 class are studying dinosaurs at the moment and loving it - whether the staff are loving the constant T. rex roaring is another matter! I try to include lots of cooking in my planning but am struggling to come up with great dino ideas.
    So far my ideas are cheesy dinosaurs (like cheese straws but dinosaur shaped), herbivore salad giving the children the opportunity to design and create their own salad, write recipes, evaluate etc as well as lots of cutting, tool use etc and possibly swamp juice - a smoothie by another name.
    I'm hesitating about the smoothie as we made them last year when we were learning about jungles and rainforests. We have made lots of different biscuits/gingerbread men so dino biscuits are out, and we made space rock cakes so a dino twist on rock cakes would also be slightly repetitive. We have veggie pupils so making burgers isn't really an option; I also try to avoid meat as it is expensive. I suppose some sort of beany-burger would be possible and as I type I'm wonering about eggy things as dinosaurs laid eggs ...
    As you can see, I'm not getting very far. Suggestions please.
    Thanks in advance
    Emma

2. Hello lovely people whose ideas and generosity never cease to amaze me. Have I grovelled enough?
    My Yr R - 2 class are studying dinosaurs at the moment and loving it - whether the staff are loving the constant T. rex roaring is another matter! I try to include lots of cooking in my planning but am struggling to come up with great dino ideas.
    So far my ideas are cheesy dinosaurs (like cheese straws but dinosaur shaped), herbivore salad giving the children the opportunity to design and create their own salad, write recipes, evaluate etc as well as lots of cutting, tool use etc and possibly swamp juice - a smoothie by another name.
    I'm hesitating about the smoothie as we made them last year when we were learning about jungles and rainforests. We have made lots of different biscuits/gingerbread men so dino biscuits are out, and we made space rock cakes so a dino twist on rock cakes would also be slightly repetitive. We have veggie pupils so making burgers isn't really an option; I also try to avoid meat as it is expensive. I suppose some sort of beany-burger would be possible and as I type I'm wonering about eggy things as dinosaurs laid eggs ...
    As you can see, I'm not getting very far. Suggestions please.
    Thanks in advance
    Emma

3. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Hi, hope these are of use: http://www.alphabet-soup.net/dir7/dinorecipe.html

4. Some fab ideas there. Thanks.